4764Re: [RedHotJazz] Earliest jazz in Europe

    Sep 27 11:22 AM
      The influence, if real, must have been from African-American string bands.
      Drummer Louis Mitchell first appeared in Paris in November 1916 as a member
      of La Belle Leonora's Ragtime Orchestra, but it was his engagement with his
      own band at the Paris Alhambra a year later which really attracted
      attention. The records made by the band at Ciro's for English Columbia in
      1916/17 may have been available in France. Other English ragtime records
      with advanced drumming such as those of the Savoy Quartet might also have
      been involved. Are there any equivalent French recordings? I know of no
      recordings of African-American musicians in France before Mitchell's Jazz
      Kings, (Despite repeated speculation to the contrary, the Orchestre
      Scrap-Iron Jazzerinos were definitely white Americans but in any case they
      didn't record until late in 1918.)

      Any better suggestion from our French folk?

      The Hellfighters didn't land in France until 1 January 1918 and it seems to
      have been at least the middle of the month before the band was heard by
      French people. (Gerard Conté appears to believe their first concert was that
      on 12 February at Nantes.)

      I suspect we're really looking at influence from popular ragtime, which is
      not likely to be distinguishable at this early date.

      on 27/9/07 15:46, epistrophy@... at epistrophy@... wrote:

      I've been doing some looking into the influence of jazz on European concert
      music. I was surprised to see that Erik Satie's work was colored by jazz as
      early as 1917, when he composed the ballet "Parade". This made me wonder
      just
      how early in the century jazz musicians made their way to Europe to cause
      such
      influence. I'm assuming that these influences came through live
      performances instead of recordings. So, who would people like Satie have
      been able to
      hear before the end of the First World War?

      - Todd