4763Earliest jazz in Europe

  • epistrophy@aol.com
    Sep 27, 2007
      I've been doing some looking into the influence of jazz on European concert
      music. I was surprised to see that Erik Satie's work was colored by jazz as
      early as 1917, when he composed the ballet "Parade". This made me wonder just
      how early in the century jazz musicians made their way to Europe to cause such
      influence. I'm assuming that these influences came through live
      performances instead of recordings. So, who would people like Satie have been able to
      hear before the end of the First World War?

      - Todd