4616Re: [RedHotJazz] How pop tunes came into the standard Dixieland repertoire

  • David W. Littlefield
    Sep 5, 2007
      Hi Howard. That's the kind of thing I want to determine for as many
      tunes as I can. I assume it depends on what musicians were listening
      to, what grabbed 'em, what besides personal taste caused the tunes to
      become part of the *tradition*, hence to be played regularly for decades.

      Thanks.
      --Sheik

      At 04:11 PM 09/05/07, you wrote:
      >on 5/9/07 20:31, David W. Littlefield at
      ><mailto:dwlit%40patriot.net>dwlit@... wrote:
      >
      >It's a reasonable assumption that "Memories of you", for example, came in
      >via the Benny Goodman Quartet.
      >Wouldn't Louis Armstrong's October 1930 version be a better guess?
      >
      >Howard Rye, 20 Coppermill Lane, London, England, E17 7HB
      ><mailto:howard%40coppermill.demon.co.uk>howard@...
      >Tel/FAX: +44 20 8521 1098
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic