4473Re: [RedHotJazz] Re: Take It From The Verse...

  • David W. Littlefield
    Jul 12, 2007
      At 12:58 PM 07/12/07, you wrote:
      >...it would make sense
      >that these are found mostly in 'pop' versions, since most/all of these
      >were pop songs to begin with, right?

      Hi Dave. Right.

      >Some of the 40's & 50's revivalists like Clancy Hayes are good for
      >verses (first time I heard the verse to "Ballin' the Jack": 'folks
      >down Georgia way, 'bout to go insane...' )

      Hayes for sure. Many people were introduced to the verses by the West
      Coast bands.

      >"Dinah" goes back to 1924, right? Pretty sure Fats didn't write it...

      Harry Akst composed it.

      >Just discovered the other day (via Ethel Waters' 1922 version) that
      >there's words to "That Da Da Strain"! Maybe, like the "Tonight Show"
      >theme, they came after the fact?

      Actually, the words to "That doo doo stain" are in the sheet music.
      That's one tune where the verse is commonly played, and accurately,
      whereas the chorus as played bears little resemblance to the sheet music.

      It's true, sometimes lyrics were added to the sheet music, just
      because it was the convention, unless the sheet was a piano solo.

      >Anyway, it's fun to use these verses even in jazz versions, since it
      >makes the chorus' such a cool 'release' when you get to it... it also
      >makes the "done to death" (as James puts it) chestnuts a little more
      >interesting to play...

      The problem is that verses were written for certain tempos and often
      simply don't work well faster, while the choruses may traditionally
      be played fast. "After you've gone" and "Some of these days" are
      prime examples. But this adds to the fun of playing the tune--verse
      slow, chorus fast. "After you've gone"--slow verse, slow chorus, then
      [surprise!] kick it, then after solos, and a couple of out ensembles,
      suddenly slow down the last 4 bars.

      Cheers!
      --Sheik

      > > Many records were made by bands (eg. California Ramblers) that used
      > > orchestrations ("stock charts", "stocks") put out by the same
      > > publishers as the sheet music. The charts were written in sections:
      > > 1. melody played one or more times, often with vocal; 2. verse (no
      > > vocal) in a key higher than the melody. 3. in the same or higher key,
      > > a clarinet trio or something; 4. one or more out choruses. Usually
      > > the charts when played in full were longer than the 78s, so sections
      > > were omitted. To the uninitiated listener, the verse just sounds like
      > > a 16-bar interlude.
      >
      >Nice - I guess I knew the structure intuitively, but nice to hear it
      >broken down...
      >Dave
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic