4471Re: Take It From The Verse...

  • Dave Stuckey
    Jul 12, 2007
      Hi David (and all) --

      Thanks for the very interesting reply... yeah, it would make sense
      that these are found mostly in 'pop' versions, since most/all of these
      were pop songs to begin with, right?

      in fact, the only time I've heard many of these verses are by pop
      singers... for instance, China Boy was by Gene Austin - this didn't
      include the verse.

      Yes, Cab did a crazy "Some of These Days", but just the chorus, I
      think... the first time I heard it with lyrics at all was a late Mills
      Bros. version.

      I feel like I've heard Teagarden sing a verse (or was it a bridge?) to
      "Nobody's Sweetheart".

      Some of the 40's & 50's revivalists like Clancy Hayes are good for
      verses (first time I heard the verse to "Ballin' the Jack": 'folks
      down Georgia way, 'bout to go insane...' )

      "Dinah" goes back to 1924, right? Pretty sure Fats didn't write it...

      Just discovered the other day (via Ethel Waters' 1922 version) that
      there's words to "That Da Da Strain"! Maybe, like the "Tonight Show"
      theme, they came after the fact?

      Anyway, it's fun to use these verses even in jazz versions, since it
      makes the chorus' such a cool 'release' when you get to it... it also
      makes the "done to death" (as James puts it) chestnuts a little more
      interesting to play...

      > Many records were made by bands (eg. California Ramblers) that used
      > orchestrations ("stock charts", "stocks") put out by the same
      > publishers as the sheet music. The charts were written in sections:
      > 1. melody played one or more times, often with vocal; 2. verse (no
      > vocal) in a key higher than the melody. 3. in the same or higher key,
      > a clarinet trio or something; 4. one or more out choruses. Usually
      > the charts when played in full were longer than the 78s, so sections
      > were omitted. To the uninitiated listener, the verse just sounds like
      > a 16-bar interlude.

      Nice - I guess I knew the structure intuitively, but nice to hear it
      broken down...

      Thanks Sheik - I'm headed to your site.

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic