4356Re: "Singin' the Blues" - 80 years later

  • Albert Haim
    Jun 5, 2007
      From
      http://physics.fortlewis.edu/Astronomy/astronomy%20today/CHAISSON/AT303/HTML/AT30304.HTM

      As an object is heated the radiation it emits peaks at higher and
      higher frequencies. When the metal is at room temperature (300 K— the
      K scale is C + 273) it emits only invisible infrared radiation. At
      1000 K, for instance, most of the emitted radiation is still infrared,
      but now there is also a small amount of visible (dull red) radiation
      being emitted. As the temperature continues to rise, the peak of the
      metal's blackbody curve moves through the visible spectrum, from red
      (4000 K) through yellow. The metal eventually becomes white hot (7000 K).

      The above gives us the scientific definition of "white-hot." It is
      also used in common parlance to refer to degrees of heat of jazz. Of
      course, we have the red hot jazz archive which should be written as
      red-hot jazz. There are degrees of heat for jazz. When heat is absent,
      we call the music sweet. When the music swings and is jazzy, we call
      it hot. Grove on line defines hot jazz as "A term used to describe
      jazz, particularly early jazz and swing, of an exciting and energetic
      nature."

      I think the author is using the term white-hot in two ways.
      Explicitely as an indication that "Singin' the Blues" is not a sweet
      piece of music, and as a play on words to refer to the fact that this
      hot music is played by white musicians.

      Albert

      --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "tommersl" <tommersl@...> wrote:

      > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Albert Haim" <alberthaim@> wrote:
      > >
      > > The weekend edition (June 2-3, 2007) of The Wall Street Journal
      > > carries this very well-written article about the Bix and Tram seminal
      > > recording of "Singin' the Blues." Here is the article in its entirety.
      > >
      > > Albert
      > >
      > > **********************
      > > "MASTERPIECE"
      > >
      > > White-Hot Jazz Ballad
      > > The haunting 'Singin' the Blues' changed American music
      > >
      > > By TOM NOLAN
      > > June 2, 2007; Page P14
      > >

      > Since the author seems to be careful and selective in his writing,
      > using double-quote precisely in place and etc, I wonder what the
      > "White-Hot Jazz Ballad" title means. Is it "'White Hot' Jazz Ballad"
      > or maybe "White:Hot Jazz Ballad". What is the definition of Hot Jazz?
      > Tommersl

    • Show all 15 messages in this topic