427Re: How to play in true mono?

  • aclassicjazzfan
    May 23, 2005
      While I've learned an enormous amount from Michael & Howard about
      the intricacies of stereo equipment and reproducing music files in
      various formats, I feel bad that my initial inquiry about the sound
      distortion on several CDs has prompted them both to go through so
      much trouble on my behalf, but I certainly appreciate their efforts.

      Michael notes that two of the CDs in question were produced during
      the same period. True, "Odds & Bits" is Timeless 55 & "Clarence
      Williams & His Orchestra, vol. 1" is Timeless 56. Why, then, does
      disk *one* of the CW set sound fine while disk *two* sounds like it
      was recorded "in a hailstorm"? (wonderful metaphor, Howard) I don't
      yet have vol. 2 in this CW series (Timeless 57). Can anyone report
      on its sound quality? I do have most of the Timeless volumes just
      before 55 and just after 56 and they all sound fine. At least in
      the case of Timeless, the problem seems to be limited to just a
      couple of CDs produced within a narrow time frame.

      What baffles me is why some Timeless & Retrieval CDs would have the
      same problem. I know both companies are based in the Netherlands.
      Do they share plants and personnel? Promise me, though, that you
      won't travel to foreign soil to find out!

      Gerard

      --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Rader"
      <Rader.Michael@w...> wrote:
      > As Howard suggests, the mono button only just partly disguises the
      problem. The real solution is to have something that can play
      channels selectively. Some home cinema sets have a mono button, but
      again this just combines. Also, some devices have a mono switch for
      use with FM radio (weak transmitters), which can't be used for any
      other functions, such as listening to CDs.

      > Having said that, I have to confess that the "noise" on one
      channel of the Jack Hylton CD was due mainly to a defective earplug.
      The CD sounded far better on other headphones, even though these are
      ancient and missing the foam rubber cushion. I'll continue to
      experiment, maybe with the Cl. Williams this time, and report back.

      > Cheers,
      > Michael

      > Mit WEB.DE FreePhone mit hoechster Qualitaet ab 0 Ct./Min.
      > weltweit telefonieren! http://freephone.web.de/?mc=021201
    • Show all 13 messages in this topic