426Re: [RedHotJazz] How to play in true mono?

  • Joel Fritz
    May 23 9:33 AM
      Howard Rye wrote:
      > on 23/5/05 7:19, Michael Rader at Rader.Michael@... wrote:
      >
      > > I think both Gerard and Howard mentioned the possibilty of playing CDs in
      > > mono. My question is how do you do it? Combine both channels into
      > mono or play
      > > just the one channel with less noise? Most modern amplifiers no
      > longer have
      > > the option of even combining into mono, let alone playing each channel
      > > separately. There are gadgets for the purpose, such as something
      > called an
      > > audio noise director, which I have for records.
      >
      > The answer is that I have an amplifier which does.
      >
      > I am unhappily aware that replacing it when it dies may prove an expensive
      > business since this requirement is now distinctly a minority one, but how
      > can you play 78s without a mono button? They sound vile with stereo surface
      > noise. It's still there of course, it's just easier for the ear to ignore
      > it, and this evidently applies to badly made CDs as well as 78s.
      >
      > Incidentally I have no idea whether a mono button generates "true mono", but
      > it sure reduces the intrusiveness of surface noise.

      > howard@...
      > Tel/FAX: +44 20 8521 1098

      The mono button makes each channel the sum of the left and right
      channels. As far as what constitutes true mono, it's a semantic deal.
      You can record on one channel using multiple inputs.

      Stereo records have one channel in the up and down direction and the
      other in side to side. Since 78s have information only in one plane
      (mostly side to side) scratches or surface imperfections in the other
      can cause problems.

      One solution that may involve more work than it's worth is to record the
      cd to your hard drive, use a sound editor program to combine the two
      channels, and dub it to a new cd. Free to cheap editors can combine the
      two channels by addition. Fancier ones give you pretty much all the
      ways you can add or subtract two channels.

      I can't blame anyone for just wanting to listen to the music without
      having to worry about post processing a cd that cost money.
    • Show all 13 messages in this topic