423Re: [RedHotJazz] How to play in true mono?

    May 23, 2005
      Just a couple of points about Howard's answer:

      - The mono button to be found on some amplifiers, like a 25 year old+ amplifier I have in my basement, simply combines both channels, so the noise is still there, but may be less obtrusive. Some CDs are characterised by a glorious stereo spread of surface noise because whoever transferred the original discs played them in stereo.

      - Older amplifiers, like a very cheap Japanese job I had in the 1970s, had additionally the option of playing each channel separately, which can make the world of difference on a mono recording, since you can switch off the surface noise from the noisier channel.

      - Colin Bray told me about a fairly simple device called the audio signal director, available from KAB electronics in the USA (www.kabusa.com), which costs about $100. With this you can select channels, combine both channels or switch channels, i.e. hear what is on the left channel to you right and vice versa. I use this for playing mono records and I guess you could also use it for CDs. The only problem is that you would probably have to hook it up anew each time you switch between analogue records and CDs: I think there's only one input and there would be a problem with ouput due to the use of preamplification for record players. You could always buy two or make your own. The circuitry is probably quite simple, but beyond my own technical capabilities.

      There is additionally the option of only recording one channel onto a copy of the CD (see my other mail).

      Cheers,

      Michael Rader

      Karlsruhe, Germany