4138Re: [RedHotJazz] Vernon Page

  • Dan Van Landingham
    May 8 5:52 PM
      Have you checked with John Chilton's "Who's Who of Jazz"?.I had an RCA LP of Bennie Moten from 1932 to '34 but I don't recall his name in the articles I've read on the whole Kansas City music scene.The album I had of Benny Moten is back in Lometa,Texas with a bunch of my albums.I wonder if he might be related to Oran "Hot Lips" Page(1906-54).With the exception o Basie,I knew little of some of the other musicians there save those who worked for Harlan Leonard,Jay McShann,George Lee(the bass sax playing brother of pianist and singer Julia Lee)who worked with Charlie Parker in the mid to late thirties and Henry "Buster" Smith,altoist,clarinetist,guitarist who led his own bands and who was with Basie when Basie went from Chicago to New York in 1937.Smith was another who worked with Parker from the early thirties.The only other bassist from Kansas City I knew of was Abe Bolar who later became a taxi cab driver in New York City according to George T. Simon in his 1967 book "The
      Big Bands".As a bit of trivia:Charlie Parker was said to have played either tuba or baritone sax in a youth band led by Buster Smith circa 1932.I don't know which horn he played in Smith's band as it was never clarified-at least not to me.Parker was alleged to have played the baritone horn.If I come across something,I'll pass it on.

      stuartmacbeth <stuartmacbeth@...> wrote: Hi

      I've been much enjoying some great brass bass work by Vernon Page with
      the Bennie Moten band. Not having any reference works to hand can
      anyone enlighten me as to whether he is a relative of Walter Page?