4008Re: [RedHotJazz] Early recordings with echo/reverb

  • Mordechai Litzman
    Mar 30, 2007
      Thanks for your thoughtful and knowledgeable reply. Re 40's echo recordings I was just "quoting" from a previous post: don't know much about them. Re-issues of 20's material with added echo and stereo usually did not sound very good. However, the reverb quality present at the premises at the recording of the tunes that were mentioned in my post definitely add to the sound quality IMHO.
      Would be interested to know about other jazz recordings from the 20's with similar improved sound.
      I agree with you that many young people are weaned to think that tinny compressed sound files sound ok. However, the playback quality of AAC audiofiles on a late generation iPod can be quite impressive if played back on a good system. And nothing beats the convenience of having your CD collection at your fingertips. Want 23 versions of Panama? Got it!

      Howard Rye <howard@...> wrote: on 30/3/07 17:07, Mordechai Litzman at folke613@... wrote:

      >A recent post made mention of some recordings with superior sound quality due
      >to the use of an echo, and later the use of an echo chamber in the 40's.

      Never thought I'd hear recordings made with an echo chamber described as
      having superior sound quality!

      >And then the myth that drums could not be recorded with early equipment. Just
      >listen to Livery Stable Blues with ODJB from 2/26/17 (First jazz recording?).
      >Apparently the needle recording the direct-to-disc master would jump from the
      >impact of the sound waves through the horns used in early acoustic recordings,
      >and it was easier to skip the drums than to record them.

      I think the taboo on full drum kits had much more to do with playback
      equipment than recording equipment. The whole history of recorded sound is a
      history of compromise between what could be achieved and the playback
      equipment the mass market could afford. That's why lateral cut replaced the
      superior vertical cut system, it's why sound quality was degraded during the
      recession. It's also why we now have a whole generation that thinks tinny
      compressed "sound files" are hi-fi!

      Buddy Gilmore's drums can be heard loud and clear on good copies of the 1913
      James Reese Europe Victors, but a blunt steel needle in an umpteen pound
      soundbox on a clockwork turntable soon shaved this kind of detail away. As
      cheap portables spread there just wasn't any point in recording what could
      be clearly heard on a top of the range parlor model. To put this another
      way, customers would be disatisfied by the loss of detail but would never
      miss it if it had never been there.

      What is the first jazz recording depends entirely on how you define jazz, so
      is circular question. The first jazz solos as normally understood are on
      Wilbur Sweatman's December 1916 Emerson recordings. Pity the rhythm section
      (if you can call it that) is so diabolical.