3957Re: When did Jazz die?

  • Robert Greenwood
    Mar 18, 2007
      You misunderstand the point I am making, Rick. Of course I am aware that black jazz artists
      like other black people felt the depression and segregation and outright bigotry surrounding
      them; in fact, they more than "felt" it, it dictated to a large degree their very conditions of
      existence and permeated their day-to-day lives, but they still made music of profound
      beauty. Your posting cites just two recordings. Do you mean to imply that when Billie sang
      When You're Smiling, or when Louis played Bessie Couldn't Help It, they were in denial of the
      segregation and outright bigotry that surrounded them?

      Robert Greenwood.
    • Show all 30 messages in this topic