3953Re: [RedHotJazz] Re: When did Jazz die?

  • Jon Noring
    Mar 17, 2007
      John wrote:

      > ps The delineation of certain "eras" is relevant: I think primarily
      > the '20s (beginning with Prohibition and Mamie Smith's breakthrough,
      > ending with the stock market crash) or Prohibition itself (ending
      > prior to the commercial "Swing" era). The most important point of
      > division is indeed World War II: after the war, one sees a huge
      > difference throughout the cultural landscape, in literature, film, and
      > music. Perhaps a sublimated cynicism brought about by fear of atomic
      > power, although I blame commercial television for lowering aesthetic
      > standards in general (we won't discuss fluoridation)...

      Many consider late 1929 as the end of the 1920's jazz era since it
      coincides with the beginning of the Great Depression.

      But I tend to view that as arbitrary. I think the real dividing line,
      which is fuzzy of course, to be the beginning of 1933. We do see some
      "proto-swing" in the 1930-32 era (mostly the "big band" black jazz
      orchestras, such as Duke Ellington). But by and large I see the
      1930-32 recordings to be a more sophisticated form of 1920's jazz.

      Certainly the move to "modern jazz" starting in the mid 40's is
      probably a bigger jump in jazz than from the 1920's to classic swing,
      but the jump from the 1920's sound to swing is also a quite major
      jump that to me is quite noticeable.

      In my opinion, of course.

      p.s., this is why I think Red Hot Jazz should set Dec. 31, 1932 as
      the cutting-off point, not late 1929. Most of the 1930-32 Kardos, Joe
      Haymes and Casa Loma Orchestra (e.g. "Alexander's Ragtime Band") have
      that 1920's sound, with only a hint of the Swing era soon to come.
    • Show all 30 messages in this topic