3945Re: [RedHotJazz] When did Jazz die?

  • Lluis Sala
    Mar 17, 2007
      I am thousands of light years away from the knowledge of most of you
      frequent posters in this list, but I can't resist give my layman insights on
      this.

      By reading Ted Gioia's "History of jazz" 6-7 years ago I was able to
      understand why some artists and some records where key in the history of
      jazz. It was my perception that from early days jazz headed to a dead end
      with free jazz (which I don't understand, musically speaking). So, since
      then, it's probably been mostly about revivals, recreations, etc. of the
      different styles, but not true innovations as they happened in the 20's and
      30's. Maybe it's so simple as that eveything -or almost everything- has been
      invented in this idiom and that the pioneers will always be admired and
      recognized, as it happens in every aspect of life.

      I don't know if I went too off-topic, but this is my perception.

      Cheers,

      Lluis Sala
      Girona, Spain
      http://lsala66.spaces.live.com/