3941Re: When did Jazz die?

    Mar 17, 2007
      I am afraid I still do not understand the question (or did it contain the
      reply already?)

      I suppose everyone is free to fix their own limits to what they consider as
      real jazz, and I guess there will be as many different replies as members on
      this list. Some will even consider there is no real difference between
      Lester Young and Archie Shepp, others will declare that jazz started dying
      in the 30's (wasn't Morton's piece called "Dirty, Dirty, Dirty" a parody of
      swing?) but I doubt this can lead us anywhere.

      This is no place for me to explain why I consider John Coltrane's Alabama as
      a masterpiece or why Thelonious Monk is the one I would take to the desert
      island. I reject the idea of "downgrading" just as much as the concept of
      "progress" applied to music, and if the original question concerned the
      evolution of styles, I doubt that marketing purposes or the introduction of
      long-playing recording by Blue Note played a greater part than what the
      musicians wished to play and what the audience expected to hear.
      Everyone is free to hate Gillespie or Bud Powell, but considering that their
      music is no longer jazz is another thing, which cannot rely on shortcuts. I
      remember some literature around PanassiƩ's "battle" which introduced an
      artificial play on the word "bop", so as to explain that Gene Vincent and
      Charlie Parker played exactly the same "modern thing"! Here I cannot help
      protesting that I never met a Rock fan who payed any attention to post-war
      jazz, which they consider as too intellectual - and talking about "gods", I
      wonder if we can still find anything as superlative as what my or your
      parents said about Armstrong or Bix, at least in the jazz field (the only
      "God" being, as everyone knows, Eric Clapton! ;-)))
      If the complaint is about so little space being devoted to pre-war music in
      record shops while Miles Davis or Keith Jarrett are oll over the place, I
      can join, but have things ever been better? There have never been so many -
      and so affordable - reissues than today, you can always state that they are
      too confidential but I prefer seeing the place flooded with Blue Note
      reissues than seeing Sinatra, the Four Tops, Presley or ZZ Top filed under
      And as far as more and more jazz lovers turning to musicians of the past,
      why complain? It is no-one's fault if there haven't been any Mortons or J.S.
      Bachs for a while, it is just the way music changes - and you won't force
      the African-American audience to support styles that were clearly related to
      segregation, prohibition, depression and misery, and the most incredible
      unequality - this is purely intellectual nostalgia which only wealthy
      intellectual whites can afford, just like regretting the good old times of
      hard work from sun to sun on the Mississippi Delta plantations which
      produced such fascinating blues!

    • Show all 30 messages in this topic