3838Re: [RedHotJazz] Re: Bill Russell (Was: New book: In Search of the Blues by Marybeth Hamilton)

  • Tony Standish
    Feb 18, 2007
      All sorts of people made the pilgrimage to New Orleans, from the Forties
      right thru to the present day - Williams, Edward Smith, Russell, Stuart,
      Ertegun, Allen, Ramsay, Charters, Mills, and on and on.. They - we - all
      went to hear the music that remained. They listened, they recorded, they
      sometimes meddled a bit, but out of it all came came many sublime musical
      experiences that gave much joy to people all around the world.
      I don't really care much if Bill might have suggested to Bunk to play Closer
      Walk, or if the Kid Thomas Band was called the Kid Thomas Band or the
      Algiers Stompers. They played in Algiers. They stomped right along. What
      does it really matter?
      George was a good clarinet player. Like all great players, there were bits
      and pieces he picked up from others along the way - not only from Dodds, but
      from reed men we may have never heard, or from Woody Herman (listen to Woody
      on Bing's "I Want me Mamma"),or from recordngs by Guy Lombardo! One could
      write a thesis on the subject, and my mate Barry Wratten may well be
      encouraged to do just that.
      The musos played parades with theTuxedo during the day; at night they played
      rock 'n' roll at bars or private functions. They were players, who provided
      music for dancing, marching, cake-walking, smooching or whatever the Man
      asked of them.
      Gene Williams was gobsmacked when he heard the Ory band playing waltzes and
      popular songs in the same style that they played Muskrat Ramble. No need to
      be surprised.
      Perhaps that is where the jazz pilgrims made their big mistake, by insisting
      that the musicians play jazz "standards" rather than the songs they played
      nightly at local gigs!
      But that's hindsight. We weren't there to advise them, were we?
      Tony Standish mojohand@....