3826RE: [RedHotJazz] Re: Bill Russell (Was: New book: In Search of the Blues by Marybeth Hamilton)

    Feb 14, 2007
      Robert

      I bow to no man, expect maybe your good self, in my admiration for Bill
      Russell but I suggest that what Bill expected to find in N.O. in the 40s was
      music of the 'classic' era, or even earlier, somehow preserved. However, the
      music of N.O. -- as everywhere -- had evolved and altered. I would argue
      that, to some extent, by his choice of musicians and repertoire he imposed
      his own vision and produced an artificial hybrid --- marvellous indeed --
      which was not representative of N.O music of that time.