3823Patton's recordings (w New book: In Search of the Blues by Marybeth Hamilton)

  • tommersl
    Feb 14, 2007
      That doesn't seem to be supported with facts.
      Patton's first record sold in 5 figures, and they kept invite him to
      record more and more though the Dow-Jones was down. And he had more
      records out than anybody else in 1931 (and Howard can you correct me
      if I'm wrong?). In the 1960's Gayle Dean Wardlow saw that Patton was
      still popular in the Delta when he asked people about him.
      Today jukeboxes in the Delta has artists like Bobby Rush. But for the
      writer of a similar book in the future the claim will be that it was
      probably whoever else because whatever reason. They don't really know
      what really happened or what they are talking about.
      I wonder what Gayle Dean Wardlow would say about it if he read this.

      --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Greenwood"
      <robertgreenwood_54uk@...> wrote:
      > Miss Hamilton's assertion that, despite the high regard in which they
      > are held by the cognoscenti, the recordings of artists such as Charley
      > Patton and his contemporaries and successors did not "enjoy much of a
      > local audience. Even in and around Clarksdale, jukeboxes played the
      > hits, which meant acts such as Louis Jordan and Count Basie, Fats
      > Waller and Duke Ellington. Patton's recordings sold only moderately
      > in his lifetime and those of his followers barely at all."
    • Show all 18 messages in this topic