3803Re: [RedHotJazz] Re: Who was that?

    Feb 4, 2007
      on 4/2/07 10:40, Robert Greenwood at robertgreenwood_54uk@... wrote:

      I don't have my reference books handy right now but wasn't there a female
      trumpeter on
      some of the later Harlem Hamfats sessions?

      Ann Cooper.

      According to Paige van Vorst's research, which was published in Mississippi
      Rag, she's on both their 1939 Vocalion sessions.
      Bartender's Blues/Ready for The River, 31 March 1939, Vocalion 04870 is a
      good example of her work.

      She was also a member of Lil Armstrong's bands in the 30s, though
      unfortunately not on record. She was in the International Sweethearts of
      Rhythm in the early 40s and is believed to have moved to Canada in the mid
      50s.