3348Re: [RedHotJazz] Re: West Coast Jazz

    Oct 6, 2006
      on 6/10/06 17:23, Michael Rader at Rader.Michael@... wrote:

      > Wouldn't the earliest influence on British trad be George Webb? The earliest
      > recordings, which I have on a George Buck issued LP predate the Bells' visits
      > to the UK and were probably not influenced by Watters, due to lack of
      > awareness of their existence. The tuba's also not exactly flexible - a legacy
      > of the British brass band tradition, at a guess.

      What I had in mind was that it was the Bells who introduced music for
      dancing. See p.150 of Humphrey Lyttelton's I Play As I Please. Lyttelton
      agrees that the Bell band was in the Yerba Buena mould though he
      characterizes the results rather differently from the way anyone has done
      here. Which brings us round in a circle.

      If I express the view that the commercial phenomenon that became British
      Trad (and the tired mainstream in which its practitioners took refuge when
      the bubble burst) owes much more to Joe Daniels and Freddie Randall than to
      George Webb, I will need a triple thickness tin hat, so forget I said it.