3184Re: Pops Foster

  • spacelights
    Sep 2, 2006
      Hi Andrew,

      I'd recommend his work of late 1929 in general, especially the great
      Luis Russell dates, and some instrumental tests with Armstrong ("I
      Ain't Got Nobody," "Dallas Blues") in December. I'm not as familiar
      with his later (and probably better-recorded) work; he did play on a
      Zutty Singleton record in 1940...

      His session with Morton on 11-13-29 marks one of the few times Jelly
      brought back the string bass after the 1926 Red Hot Peppers, but
      Foster is under-recorded... He's far more audible on the Wilton
      Crawley session of 12-2-29 (also with Morton).

      Regards,

      John

      --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Homzy <homzy@...> wrote:

      > What recordings can you recommend in which Pops Foster's special
      sound is
      > clearly heard?
      >
      > Cheers,
      >
      > Andrew Homzy, Montréal