3061Re: One Bixian is Back (was Bee Palmer and Ralph Berton)

  • Albert Haim
    Aug 8, 2006
      Only one take each of "Wringin' and Twistin'" and of "In A Mist" were
      issued. The respective masters are W 81450-A and W 81426-B.

      I only mentioned the issues of "Wringin' ..." for which I have scans
      of the labels. That is why I did not cite the Vocalion 3150.

      Bix can be heard on piano in

      In A Mist Bix
      Wringin' and Twistin' Bix, Tram and Lang
      For No Reason At All in C Bix, Tram and Lang
      Big Boy Wolverines

      Bix wrote three other piano compositions (Candlelights, In the Dark
      and Flashes) but did not record them.

      There is an interview of Lou Panico by John Stein in which Panico
      states that Bix recorded some piano rolls. If they were made, they
      have not been found.

      Albert

      W--- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey Jastram" <mister_j@...>
      wrote:

      > Gentlemen:
      > Please help ...
      > I have two records containing "Wringin' An' Twistin'" (Okeh
      40916/81450 and
      > Vocalion 3150/81450) by "Tram-Bix and Lang". Both were recorded
      09/17/27
      > (I think) with "In A Mist" on the other side. I believe these may be
      > identical recordings (in particular, note that both contain
      "/81450") but
      > in your conversation, the Vocalion label is not mentioned.
      >
      > Are these two from the same session? Identical takes or different?
      Same
      > questions for "In A Mist"? Also, were there any other piano solos
      recorded
      > by The Bixster? The "tinkling" on these is delightful!
      >
      > Another Bix fan,
      >
      > Jeff

    • Show all 10 messages in this topic