3057Re: One Bixian is Back (was Bee Palmer and Ralph Berton)

  • spacelights
    Aug 8, 2006
      Hi Albert,

      Thanks for the references... Ma Rainey's version isn't the same tune
      as Waller's/Trumbauer's. It's an interesting original song, arranged
      for a jazz band, and not really a blues. It was registered for
      copyright in 1926--words and music by Paul Carter.

      Regards,

      John

      --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Albert Haim" <alberthaim@...> wrote:

      > "Wringin' and Twistin'"--does anyone know the story
      > > behind its composition? I find the idea of a Waller/Trumbauer
      > > collaboration in 1927 fascinating, but I wonder if it really
      > > happened...
      >
      > According to Philip Evans and Linda Evans, "Bix, The Leon Bix
      > Beiderbecke Story" (Prelike Press, 1998; Phil Evans spent 50 years
      > researching the life of Bix. The results of his work -a day by day
      > chronology with innumerable quotes from people who knew Bix, complete
      > letters from Bix to his parents and fellow musicians, complete
      > discographical information, etc.- are presented in enormous detail in
      > this book), page 284,
      >
      > "Althouh Tram and Fats Waller are listed as co-composers, it seems
      > more likely that Tram arranged the Waller tune for the trio to record."
      >
      > Ma Rainey recorded "Wringin' and Twistin' Blues" early in 1926 (PM
      > 12338). Is this the same tune as the one Bix, Tram and Lang recorded?
      >
      > To see the OK and Odeon labels of Bix, Tram and Eddie recording of
      > "Wringin' and Twistin'" click on
      >
      > http://bixography.com/images/wringingokeh.JPG
      >
      > http://bixography.com/images/wringinantwistinodeonswing.jpg
      >
      > Albert