2967Re: [RedHotJazz] A Tall Story was Benny Green (was Bixing )

  • Bob Eagle
    Jul 12, 2006
      Yes, you're right. I was (clumsily) trying to provide an explanation why he was not described as "Musician" anywhere (aside from the AFM).

      Bob

      Howard Rye <howard@...> wrote:
      on 12/7/06 11:16, Prof_Hi_Jinx at prof_hi_jinx@... wrote:

      > George Tall (born Leavenworth, KS 25 September 1897) appears in various
      > Draft and Census listings, initially in Leavenworth (as late as 1918,
      > indexed as "Dfall" (?)), later in Kansas City, KS.
      >
      > There is no Sam* Tall nearby.
      >
      > On that basis, it seems sensible to forget Sam and go with George. George's
      > occupation is Porter or Janitor, but if he merely "strummed" a banjo, maybe
      > he was not too accomplished or active.

      Granted, but he was a member of the AFM and he did join Local 627 at the
      same time as other members of Moten's band.

      The records would seem to be a good basis for judgement of his skills!

      Yahoo! Groups Links