2835Re: [RedHotJazz] Mike Mosiello was Thomas Mitchell Cornets etc.

    Jun 14, 2006

      > Where is some Mosiello, of whom I have never heard ?

      Mike Mosiello presents intractable problems for the researcher. Most
      identifications are based on an interview with Andy Sanella conducted on
      Brian Rust's behalf in 1962. The expectation that anyone would remember
      details of pick-up dates of the kind that the Grey Gull house band did after
      30 years is truly bizarre. Unfortunately Brian was pre-disposed to believe
      him because of his ongoing embarrassment over the issue of Memphis Jazzers
      sides under King Oliver's name in the 40s, for which he was apparently
      responsible (though no one would know if he didn't insist on apologizing for
      it!).

      I feel particularly sour about this because I fell head first into the much
      worse trap consequently set and attributed the playing on 'In Harlem's
      Araby' to him in my Grove entry on Mosiello. I was hearing what I expected
      to hear and should have known better. Attributing the playing to Oliver was
      much less silly than attributing it to Mosiello.

      Mosiello was born in Italy in July 1896 and died in Neptune, NJ on 6 June
      1953. He is undoubtedly to be heard on a good many Grey Gull recordings.
      Laurens Hertzdahl in his notes to the Grey Gull CD reckons that he is very
      easily identifiable. He was later known as Michael Mells and apparently
      worked for Mal Hallett. He is a hot-dance player.

      You're right, David, that I cannot resist commenting on the Nashville
      Jazzers. I am pretty convinced the clarinet is Bob Fuller, near the top of
      his considerable form, on take -B especially. The trumpeter seems to display
      Morris's characteristic quacking tone at times, but you will gather from
      this that my neck is definitely not extended on this one!