2510Re: Name That Tune! - help needed identifying a couple of songs

  • Dennis Pereyra
    Apr 24 10:42 PM
      I have solved the other mystery! The first song linked
      as "bernie1.ram" is called "Craving", written by Ben Bernie, Philip
      Charig and Kenneth Casey, copyright 1925. It was recorded by Ben
      Bernie and His Orchestra on Vocalion 14965 on January 21, 1925.
      Thanks to the Online Discographical Project and the Red Hot Jazz
      Archive for the clues needed. Case closed.

      Dennis

      --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, tobinpreston@... wrote:

      > I can sleep tonight : another mystery solved!

      q=cache:Jomlz1muYg4J:www.perfessorbill.com/pbmidi10a.shtml+titina+tit
      ine&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=1
      > That is why the links are dead.
      >
      > "Titina (Je Cherche Aprčs Titine)
      >
      > Lyrics
      > Titina (Je Cherche Aprčs Titine)
      >
      > Léo Daniderff (M), Zez Confrey (M additional theme), Bertal-Maubon
      and
      > E. Ronn (L) - 1922/1925: This is an absolutely charming piece that
      > although is not commonly heard today realized some fame in both
      Europe
      > and the U.S. in the 1920s. Composed by the Frenchman Léo Daniderff
      in
      > 1922, [I think this is wrong; it was 1917, ed.] Titina made its
      way to
      > the U.S. with English lyrics via the stage revue Puzzles of 1925.
      Zez
      > Confrey, in his capacity as an Ampico reproducing roll artist took
      off
      > with the tune in a fabulous arrangement, some of which is quoted
      here.
      > He started with the very catchy chorus, used the verse as an
      interlude
      > before a chorus variation, and even arranged a third theme in the
      > manner of a trio, which is paraphrased in this performance. Other
      > artists and bands recorded it throughout the late 1920s as well.
      > However, the chorus of the piece was used to greatest effect in the
      > 1936 Charles Chaplin film Modern Times in a scene where he is
      called
      > upon as an alleged singing waiter to perform a piece. The tramp
      > character consequently chose Titina with some partly non-sensical
      > French lyrics made up for the occasion and suggestively delivered
      at
      > points. Lest one dismiss Chaplin's musical tastes or talents, know
      > that he often composed music for his silent and sound films,
      including
      > the oft-used Smile for this same soundtrack. My take on Titina is a
      > little more laid back and exudes a natural swing inherent in the
      > composition."
      >
      > You can hear the Bob Haring 1925 recording -Cameo 697 mx 1372- in
      > Dismuke website. Go to
      > http://www.dismuke.org/how/prev3-05.html
      > and scroll down half way the page.
      >
      > The tune was also recorded in 1924 by Jack Hylton and in 1925 by
      Carl
      > Fenton, the International Novelty orchestra, Harry Reser, and
      Vincent
      > Lopez. There is a version by Billy Murray on Victor 19640.
      >
      > These are the lyrics you remember.
      >

      > I'm looking for Titina, Titina, my Titina,
      > I've searched from Palistina, to London and Peru.
      > I'll die without Titina, I can't eat my farina,
      > I don't want Rose or Lena, Titina I want you.
      >
      > Albert
      >
      > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, tobinpreston@ wrote:
      > >
      > > EGAD I think that old age(54) is gaining on me. I NOW distinctly
      > remember the Song is not Katrina but Titrina! The name Katrina
      has
      > been in the news so much recently I associated it with the song
      which
      > I now realise I misnamed. Tritina my Tritina I must have my
      Tritina
      > It cant be Rose or Lena Tritina I love you!!! Ive Got to find
      that
      > 78 now!!!"Oh Katherina" is an entirely different song but along the
      > same lines.

      It was
      > > written in 1917 by Bertal-Maubon (lyrics) and Léo Daniderff
      (music).
      > > Used by Charlie Chaplin in Modern Times with invented words.
      > >
      > > The first line of the refrain go as follows.
      > >
      > > Je cherche après Titine, Titine, oh ! Titine !
      > >
      > > Katrina, my Katrina, I must have my Katrina!
      > >
      > > Tobin, I can see that the words you cited fit perfectly well
      with the
      > > tune. Do you remember the music? Is it the same as the one sung
      by
      > > Chaplin? Maybe a translation?
      > >
      > > Bing Crosby recorded a song entitled "Katrina" in 1945. He also
      sang a
      > > song named "Katrina" in the 1949 Walt Disney Film, "The
      Adventures of
      > > Ichabod and Mr. Toad." According to imdb, this tune was written
      by Don
      > > Raye and Gene de Paul. This is a different song. The lyrics for
      the
      > > Disney film song are given in http://tinyurl.com/mz67n
      > >
      > > Albert
      > >

      > > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, tobinpreston@ wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Is the second one " my Katrina"? Katrina my Katrina< I must
      have my
      > > Katrina!

      Titine."
      > > > Charlie Chaplin sang it with made up words in one of his films,
      > > > "Modern Times" I believe. Jacques Brel revived in the 1960s.
      > > >
      > > > Albert
      > > >

      > > > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Scott Alexander <scott@>

      His
      > > > Orchestra

      > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
      >
      > Visit your group "RedHotJazz" on the web.

      Service.