      From: Albert Haim <alberthaim@...>
      To: RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Sun, 09 Apr 2006 22:57:50 -0000
      Subject: [RedHotJazz] Re: Name That Tune! - help needed identifying a couple of songs

      Tobin,

      Now you are talking. The tune you remember is Titina, not Tritina.
      Here is information about it from a site that is no longer available.
      I got this in cache.
      http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:Jomlz1muYg4J:www.perfessorbill.com/pbmidi10a.shtml+titina+titine&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=1
      That is why the links are dead.

      "Titina (Je Cherche Aprčs Titine)

      Lyrics
      Titina (Je Cherche Aprčs Titine)

      Léo Daniderff (M), Zez Confrey (M additional theme), Bertal-Maubon and
      E. Ronn (L) - 1922/1925: This is an absolutely charming piece that
      although is not commonly heard today realized some fame in both Europe
      and the U.S. in the 1920s. Composed by the Frenchman Léo Daniderff in
      1922, [I think this is wrong; it was 1917, ed.] Titina made its way to
      the U.S. with English lyrics via the stage revue Puzzles of 1925. Zez
      Confrey, in his capacity as an Ampico reproducing roll artist took off
      with the tune in a fabulous arrangement, some of which is quoted here.
      He started with the very catchy chorus, used the verse as an interlude
      before a chorus variation, and even arranged a third theme in the
      manner of a trio, which is paraphrased in this performance. Other
      artists and bands recorded it throughout the late 1920s as well.
      However, the chorus of the piece was used to greatest effect in the
      1936 Charles Chaplin film Modern Times in a scene where he is called
      upon as an alleged singing waiter to perform a piece. The tramp
      character consequently chose Titina with some partly non-sensical
      French lyrics made up for the occasion and suggestively delivered at
      points. Lest one dismiss Chaplin's musical tastes or talents, know
      that he often composed music for his silent and sound films, including
      the oft-used Smile for this same soundtrack. My take on Titina is a
      little more laid back and exudes a natural swing inherent in the
      composition."

      You can hear the Bob Haring 1925 recording -Cameo 697 mx 1372- in
      Dismuke website. Go to
      http://www.dismuke.org/how/prev3-05.html
      and scroll down half way the page.

      The tune was also recorded in 1924 by Jack Hylton and in 1925 by Carl
      Fenton, the International Novelty orchestra, Harry Reser, and Vincent
      Lopez. There is a version by Billy Murray on Victor 19640.

      These are the lyrics you remember.

      I'm looking for Titina, Titina, my Titina,
      I've searched from Palistina, to London and Peru.
      I'll die without Titina, I can't eat my farina,
      I don't want Rose or Lena, Titina I want you.

      Albert

      --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, tobinpreston@... wrote:

      > EGAD I think that old age(54) is gaining on me. I NOW distinctly
      remember the Song is not Katrina but Titrina! The name Katrina has
      been in the news so much recently I associated it with the song which
      I now realise I misnamed. Tritina my Tritina I must have my Tritina
      It cant be Rose or Lena Tritina I love you!!! Ive Got to find that
      78 now!!!"Oh Katherina" is an entirely different song but along the
      same lines.

      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS