2428Re: [RedHotJazz] Re: Bolden cylinder

    Apr 1, 2006
      on 1/4/06 16:51, David N. Lewis at udtv@... wrote:

      > I can't find the reference, but here someone speculated about the
      > Bolden cylinder as though it might have been made by a hobbyist. That
      > isn't likely - at all. Private ownership of phonographs capable of
      > recording is something that doesn't really get underway until about
      > 1900.

      I certainly didn't mean to suggest it might have been made by a hobbyist,
      rather by some outfit like the Metropolitan Music Store in Minneapolis that
      made Sweatman's 1903 cylinder.

      If anyone does locate the source of the Bolden cylinder story, please tell.
      So far, I've found several references but all in terms of it being a story
      which everyone already knows and is almost certainly false. It would be
      particularly interesting to know whether even an approximate date was
      attached to the original telling.