2427Re: under intellectualising was over-intellectualizing

  • David N. Lewis
    Apr 1, 2006
      To finish, if the Bolden cylinder survives in a private collection,
      then most likely it would belong to the descendants of someone who
      worked for Louisiana Phono and later moved away from the city. It may
      even already exist in an institutional collection, but it might be
      missing its box and/or slip, or the spoken introduction is audible, or
      is claimed by mold, a problem we don't know how to fix just yet.

      One thing that should be done is to identify the name of the band that
      would have recorded it. It probably won't be obvious, like "Bolden's
      Band," more likely a name like "The Eagle Band" or some such. I've
      never seen a comprehensive listing of records from Louisiana
      Phonograph, but if a printed catalogue could be found one could see
      what types of band selections the company was producing and deduce the
      most likely candidates. And as to the date, speculation about which is
      all over the map, I would say 1895 seems most likely, certainly not
      later than 1898, when North American broke up.

      Uncle Dave