1843Re: 29th and Dearborn

  • spacelights
    Nov 5, 2005
      --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Howard Rye <howard@c...> wrote:

      > on 4/11/05 20:39, Mordechai Litzman at folke613@y... wrote:
      >
      > > Another street corner: I have a beatiful recording with Knocky Parker
      playing
      > > a Jelly Roll Morton piano solo from 1926 called "State and Madison."
      (couln't
      > > find it on RHJA). Means anything?
      >
      > This is a downtown commercial location as far as I can see, a tune named
      for
      > famous streets, rather than any jazzy significance to the location. Anyone
      > know better? One map I have names something called the "State and
      Madison
      > Building" on the north-west corner, but it looks like an office block.

      It seems to be Chicago's central point--State divides east and west addresses,
      while Madison divides north and south addresses. Did Morton keep an office
      nearby...? I recall reading something like that. Here are some vintage views:

      http://patsabin.com/illinois/statemadison.htm

      http://patsabin.com/illinois/mandel.htm
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic