1413Re: Martha Copeland

  • tommersl
    Sep 16, 2005
      Nathan Beauregard , he was born 1869 (and also 1867 and 1863 were
      also possibilities mentioned), anyway he was filmed in the 1960's and
      anyone that saw it (he was accompanied to the show with a 70-80 years
      old son) was convinced he was a circa 100 person at the time. He
      played electric guitar (!) , something that he must have been in his
      60's or even make more sense at least in his 70's when he first
      picked it, since the first commercial were issued in about 1935, and
      he was 66 years old at the time. His style doesn't sound that very
      old, compare his Nathan's Bumble Bee to Bukker's Shake em' on Down,
      a Delta Blues standard that was first recorded in 1937, when Nathan
      Beauregard was at least 68 years old. And there were Daddy Stovepipe
      who was born 1867 (or 1863) and was very up to date in the 1920's,
      recording some of the earliest Jug Bands sound (featuring only him
      and his wife Mississippi Matilda each plays simultaneously a few
      instruments in order to get the Jug Band sound) and Henry Thomas who
      was born 1874 , W.C. Handy was born 1873 and New Orleans bass player
      Bill Johnson was another pioneer of the 1920's sound with his
      Original Creole Band, the prototype to King Oliver's band. These
      examples shows in my opinion that it's impossible to know how music
      was sound in the 1860's and 1870's or even the 1880's and 1890's, and
      that it's not a surprise that old musicians could sit in easily with
      the commercial music of the 1920's.

      Tommersl

      --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Prof_Hi_Jinx" <prof_hi_jinx@y...>
      wrote:
      > Martha Copeland is thought to have hailed from Pittsburgh, because
      of her
      > mention of its main black drag, Wylie Avenue (Columbia, 1927).
      >
      > Sure enough, the 1930 Census has a Martha Copeland, black, widow,
      residing
      > in Pittsburgh (no stated occupation), born in Ohio, as was her
      mother.

      > But that Martha is aged 62, suggesting a birth date around 1868,
      which seems
      > way too early for a vaudeville blues singer.
      >
      > Admittedly, she was billed by Columbia as "Everybody's Mammy",
      suggested an
      > older woman - but that old?
      >
      > Bob

      Martha
      > > Copeland is on Document (DOCD 5372-5373), 35 tracks from 1923 to
      1928 but
      > > they're studio sessions only (plus some extra takes by Irene
      Scruggs)

      > > Patrice

      Radio for
      > >> the
      > >> last part of the 20's on the Carbon Hour. Little seems to be
      little
      > >> that
      > >> is know about her most of what I found was on "Edison's
      Attic".
      > >> She wasn't as powerful as Bessie Smith but in my opinion in her
      later
      > >> years just as good. Art LaHote
      > >

      > > Yahoo! Groups Links

      http://au.messenger.yahoo.com