1397Re: [RedHotJazz] Re: Martha Copeland

    Sep 15, 2005
      on 15/9/05 12:15, Robert Smith at robert.smith@... wrote:

      > According to the information that I have Mamie Smith was born in 1890

      Mamie was born Mamie Robinson in Cincinnati on 26 May 1883. This information
      goes back to Sheldon Harris' Blues Who's Who at least, though think I have
      seen any definite confirmation of it.

      She is believed to have been touring as a dancer with The Four Dancing
      Mitchells from about 1893, but this doesn't necessarily support an earlier
      birth date since this may have been as a 'pic'.