1253Re: THE DEATH OF NEW ORLEANS

  • sahfen
    Sep 1, 2005
      --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Homzy <homzy@v...> wrote:
      > With the permission of the author, I thought members of this list would
      > appreciate this poignant elegie:
      >
      > From: Ed Sisu <edsisu@m...>
      > Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 21:03:25 -0400
      > To: duke-lym@c...
      > Subject: THE DEATH OF NEW ORLEANS
      >

      > My Friends
      >
      > This is a very sad day for the American People
      > and a sadder day for jazz. New Orleans is gone,
      > with irreperable damage to the infrastructure
      > of this once grand and proud old city.
      >
      > You don't have to be a rocket scientist to see
      > that the devistation of Bourbon St and immediate
      > surrounding streets and thoroughfares can never
      > be salvaged, let alone recovered.
      >
      > What is even sadder is that didn't have to happen.
      > For years the city fathers have considered doing
      > something radical to the levee systems around the
      > city in the event of a hurricane of this magnitude.
      >
      > They couldn't get help from the government to pay
      > the 2 billion odd dollars - the price that the war in Iraq
      > costs Americans to fund every week.
      >
      > In view of the recent political discussions on LYM that
      > have included Bush's war. Every God fearing American
      > should pray to their God for some kind of redemption.
      >
      > Everyone around the world who loves jazz should honor
      > the memory of this historic city in it's agony and final
      > death throws as well as it's population at this time.
      >
      > Perhaps the more eloquent members of this group should
      > suggest what LYM can do to help remember the memories
      > of all the great jazz pioneers who called New Orleans home.
      >
      > Most Respectfully and with a sad aching heart
      >
      > Ed Sisu,

      I agree to what Ed says.
      It's very sad to see New Orleans so damaged. The city of happiness, the city
      of good music, the city of Jazz now is hurt.

      This is another horrible consequence of war and this confirms that music, art
      and culture could not develop with hatred and without respect for other
      people.

      Many jazzmen taught us to learn from different cultures; just look where good
      old New Orleans boys Satchmo and Sidney Bechet travelled. Simply with
      their instruments and their syncopated music, they became heroes for
      everyone in the world.

      Nicola
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic