East Bay Recumbents Ride Day, 12/15/2007, 9:00 am

  • Recumbents_of_the_East_Bay@yahoogroups.co
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 5, 2007
      Reminder from: Recumbents_of_the_East_Bay Yahoo! Group

      Title: East Bay Recumbents Ride Day

      Date: Saturday December 15, 2007
      Time: 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
      Repeats: This event repeats every month on the third Saturday.
      Next reminder: The next reminder for this event will be sent in 8 days, 3 minutes.
      Location: Meet at Central Ave and the Bay Trail, Richmond

    • Richard Arnold
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 12, 2007
        Looks like rain isn't going to cancel this ride, so
        anyone else planning to show up? I haven't ridden in a
        couple of months, so I'm using this Saturday ride as a
        reason to put life on hold for a couple of hours and
        get some exercise. Hope I'm not alone.

        Richard Arnold

        http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
      • Vernon Davis
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 12, 2007
          I would like to join you. It's been months since I rode with the group and I'm not riding much now. I'll see. Things are so busy now days.

          Vernon

          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 12, 2007
            I want to try to make it as well. Any thoughts on where to ride? I can
            lead you through the Ahlone Trail and up to the U.C. Berkeley campus (The
            route I used to take on my commute to work--before I retired:-). Albany
            and Berkeley are fairly bike friendly as is the campus itself.

            Allan Jensen

            --- Vernon Davis <bluvettguy@...> wrote:

            > I would like to join you. It's been months since I rode with the group
            > and I'm not riding much now. I'll see. Things are so busy now days.
            >
            > Vernon

            Allan Jensen
            Gramps94804@...
            Try not to speak in absolutes

            Looking for last minute shopping deals?
          • Greg Dunn
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 12, 2007
              Allan:

              Is that the Ohlone Trail?  I've never biked or hiked on that, as far as I know.  What is the constitution of the trail (paved, gravel, elevation changes, etc.)?  Where would you be starting from, and what length ride do you have in mind?

              Thanks,
              Greg Dunn

              ----
              href="mailto:ca_mobjacker%40yahoo.com">ca_mobjacker@ yahoo.com>

              Bay Recumbents Ride Day, 12/15/2007, 9:00 am

              > Looks
              like rain isn't going to cancel this ride, so
              > anyone else planning to
              show up? I haven't ridden in a
              > couple of months, so I'm using this
              Saturday ride as a
              > reason to put life on hold for a couple of hours
              and
              > get some exercise. Hope I'm not alone.
              >
              > Richard
              Arnold

              _________ _

              href="http://www.yahoo.">http://www.yahoo. com/r/hs

              href="http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs">http://www.yahoo. com/r/hs

              Allan Jensen
              Gramps94804@ yahoo.com

              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 12, 2007
                Yes, Ohlone, sorry about the misspelling. The trail is paved urban
                pathway, shared with walkers, joggers, doggers. Crosses city streets so it
                is not a speedway. From our meeting point at the usual place, we would
                ride to the GG Fields race track. Then either over or under the Buchanan
                overcross (the choice here determines which side of Buchanan you end up
                on--requiring either a short ride from the top of the overpass with
                traffic, or, crossing Buchanan as we proceed up to the entrance to UC
                Village. Or, straight up Buchanan to the BART rightaway. There we catch
                the Ohlone trail and work our way into Berkeley to Hearst. Up Hearst
                (fairly bike friendly) all the way to Oxford. Right on Oxford to the
                campus. We can bike up to Sproul plaza, catch some libations and return
                the same route.
                AJ

                Be a better friend, newshound, and
              • Richard Arnold
                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 12, 2007
                  I gotta admit I'm not a fan of urban riding for
                  recreation. Too many intersections, and I don't like
                  riding through them without stopping or slowing way
                  down. I'm talking about my one foray on the Ohlone
                  Trail. And I'm not a fan of Buchannon or Marin either,
                  though Marin has a bike lane. The only time I've
                  enjoyed riding in Berkeley was on the less travelled
                  streets and the bike boulevards. Basically, I ride for
                  the car-free experience. My favorite route is north to
                  the Red Oak Victory, then over the hill to Brickyard
                  Cove and Pt. Richmond. I like those wide-open spaces
                  and the friendly drivers of Pt. Richmond.

                  Richard Arnold

                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 12, 2007
                    I'm afraid I'm not going to be able to make the ride. I remembered a commitment to a Christmas event at my church Saturday morning. Sorry, it would have been fun.

                    Vernon

                    href="mailto:Recumbents_of_the_East_Bay%40yahoogroups.com" target=_blank rel=nofollow ymailto="mailto:Recumbents_of_the_East_Bay%40yahoogroups.com">Recumbents_of_ the_East_ Bay@yahoogroups. com
                    > Sent: Wednesday, December 12, 2007 8:51:37 AM
                    > Subject: Re: [REB] East Bay Recumbents Ride Day, 12/15/2007, 9:00 am
                    >

                    > Looks like rain isn't going to cancel this ride, so
                    > anyone else planning to show up? I haven't ridden in a
                    > couple of months, so I'm using this Saturday ride as a
                    > reason to put life on hold for a couple of hours and
                    > get some exercise. Hope I'm not alone.
                    >
                    > Richard Arnold

                    > http://www.yahoo. com/r/hs

                    > http://www.yahoo. com/r/hs

                    Allan Jensen
                    Gramps94804@ yahoo.com
                    Try not to speak in absolutes

                    Looking for last minute shopping deals?

                  • Jill McIntire
                    Message 9 of 16 , Dec 13, 2007
                      Sorry to be so dense, but this Saturday's ride is going to be the
                      first time I have ridden with the group, and I need meeting location
                      directions! I recall reading about some mistaken meeting spots and
                      don't want to become such a statistic.

                      And what does this group DO at 9 am? Meet? Start riding? Does the
                      group ride and leave, or stop and snack?
                      How much time do I budget for the ride, is what I am asking!

                      thanks, Jill
                    • Recumbents_of_the_East_Bay@yahoogroups.co
                      Message 10 of 16 , Dec 13, 2007

                        Date: Saturday December 15, 2007
                        Time: 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
                        Repeats: This event repeats every month on the third Saturday.
                        Location: Meet at Central Ave and the Bay Trail, Richmond

                      • fogwb
                        Message 11 of 16 , Dec 13, 2007
                          I am going to show up, hoping others do as well. I don't know any
                          routes, but am happy to follow the leader where-ever.

                          Jill, I have only been on a few of these rides, but they seem to meet
                          at the ride start, wait for a few minutes (5-10 max, unless they know
                          someone is coming) and take off. The rides I have been on are back to
                          the meeting spot before noon, and everyone pretty much takes off
                          afterwards.

                          As far as directions, if you look at the Files, Maps area, there are
                          maps showing the exit and meeting place.

                          See you all Saturday,

                          Jim
                          Trice QNT

                          --- In Recumbents_of_the_East_Bay@yahoogroups.com, Jill McIntire
                          <jillmcin@...> wrote:

                          > Sorry to be so dense, but this Saturday's ride is going to be the
                          > first time I have ridden with the group, and I need meeting location
                          > directions! I recall reading about some mistaken meeting spots and
                          > don't want to become such a statistic.
                          >
                          > And what does this group DO at 9 am? Meet? Start riding? Does the
                          > group ride and leave, or stop and snack?
                          > How much time do I budget for the ride, is what I am asking!
                          >
                          > thanks, Jill

                        • Allan Jensen
                          Message 12 of 16 , Dec 13, 2007
                            Jim and Jill, (no Jack?:-).
                            As for meeting spot, we asseble at the intersection of Central Ave and
                            Rydin Rd. on the west side of I-580. If you know how to get to Costco
                            there at the end of Central, you will have to come to that intersection.
                            There is a little utility road right there where a few Semi's (big trucks)
                            sometimes park. That is generally where we all assemble to wait for other
                            riders.
                            Jim is correct, we will wait 5-10 minutes for late arrivals, decide on
                            route and then saddle up and ride.
                            You will probably want to bring a little snack (granola bars?) and for
                            sure a water bottle. Most of the rides we've done from that location will
                            include a stop somewhere for bathroom breaks and where one can buy a
                            coffee or other drink.
                            Then depending on whether you pedaled or drove to the assembly point,
                            folks head back there to end the ride. Hope this helps.

                            Allan
                            --- fogwb <fogwb@...> wrote:

                            > I am going to show up, hoping others do as well. I don't know any
                            > routes, but am happy to follow the leader where-ever.
                            >
                            > Jill, I have only been on a few of these rides, but they seem to meet
                            > at the ride start, wait for a few minutes (5-10 max, unless they know
                            > someone is coming) and take off. The rides I have been on are back to
                            > the meeting spot before noon, and everyone pretty much takes off
                            > afterwards.
                            >
                            > As far as directions, if you look at the Files, Maps area, there are
                            > maps showing the exit and meeting place.
                            >
                            > See you all Saturday,
                            >
                            > Jim
                            > Trice QNT
                            >
                            > --- In Recumbents_of_the_East_Bay@yahoogroups.com, Jill McIntire
                            > <jillmcin@...> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Sorry to be so dense, but this Saturday's ride is going to be the
                            > > first time I have ridden with the group, and I need meeting location
                            > > directions! I recall reading about some mistaken meeting spots and
                            > > don't want to become such a statistic.
                            > >
                            > > And what does this group DO at 9 am? Meet? Start riding? Does the
                            > > group ride and leave, or stop and snack?
                            > > How much time do I budget for the ride, is what I am asking!
                            > >
                            > > thanks, Jill

                            Allan Jensen
                            Gramps94804@...
                            Try not to speak in absolutes

                            Be a better friend, newshound, and
                          • Allan Zenos
                            Message 13 of 16 , Dec 13, 2007
                              ...Jack fell down and broke his crown...because he forgot his helmet. )-:
                              See you all Saturday. (-:)

                              Al

                              --- fogwb <fogwb@anyos. org> wrote:

                              > I am going to show up, hoping others do as well. I don't know any
                              > routes, but am happy to follow the leader where-ever.
                              >
                              > Jill, I have only been on a few of these rides, but they seem to meet
                              > at the ride start, wait for a few minutes (5-10 max, unless they know
                              > someone is coming) and take off. The rides I have been on are back to
                              > the meeting spot before noon, and everyone pretty much takes off
                              > afterwards.
                              >
                              > As far as directions, if you look at the Files, Maps area, there are
                              > maps showing the exit and meeting place.
                              >
                              > See you all Saturday,
                              >
                              > Jim
                              > Trice QNT
                              >
                              > --- In Recumbents_of_ the_East_ Bay@yahoogroups. com, Jill McIntire
                              > <jillmcin@.. .> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Sorry to be so dense, but this Saturday's ride is going to be the
                              > > first time I have ridden with the group, and I need meeting location
                              > > directions! I recall reading about some mistaken meeting spots and
                              > > don't want to become such a statistic.
                              > >
                              > > And what does this group DO at 9 am? Meet? Start riding? Does the
                              > > group ride and leave, or stop and snack?
                              > > How much time do I budget for the ride, is what I am asking!
                              > >
                              > > thanks, Jill

                              Allan Jensen
                              Gramps94804@ yahoo.com
                              Try not to speak in absolutes

                              Be a better friend, newshound, and

                            • Leonard Edmondson
                              Message 14 of 16 , Dec 13, 2007
                                One of these days I'm going to make it to an REB ride. I'm still a bit
                                slow after heart surgery this summer. Is there anyone who would be
                                willing to ride stoker on the DoubleDay?

                                Leonard
                                Albany
                              • Zach Kaplan
                                Message 15 of 16 , Dec 14, 2007
                                  I would go but it conflicts with this Grizzly Peak Cyclists 70 mile
                                  ride I'm doing Saturday. Perhaps some of you who would prefer a
                                  longer ride would like to join me on this:
                                  Sat Dec 15 3/TM/70 Calaveras Road
                                  Meet at 8:00 a.m. at Rockridge BART for an 8:15 departure. Tunnel,
                                  Skyline, and Redwood to Castro Valley; then the Dublin Grade and
                                  Foothill to Calaveras, continuing on to the Fremont BART for a return
                                  to Rockridge or our respective starting points. Bring food, water,
                                  and maybe a BART ticket, or money to buy. Helmets required; rain or
                                  30% chance cancels. Contact ride leader Frank Carothers (510)
                                  528-7048, frank_c at Berkeley dot edu for details.

                                  Zach Kaplan Cycles
                                  Alameda, Northern California, North America
                                  510-522-BENT (2368)
                                  zakaplan@...
                                • Richard Arnold
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Dec 20, 2007
                                    For those of you who weren't at last Saturday's REB
                                    ride, and how many could that be with the turnout we
                                    had, it was the best attended ride I've had the
                                    pleasure to share. We had five trikers (Catrike,
                                    Optima, Greenspeed, Trice, and Terratrike) and seven
                                    2-wheelers (they all look alike to me, though one was
                                    a fairly new Red Carbent) and a spouse on a road bike.

                                    Weather was partly cloudy, partly sunny, and just
                                    right for warm clothing and fast pedalling. Sunglasses
                                    were needed for half the ride.

                                    We took the northern route to the Red Oak Victory
                                    ship, then split into two groups so some could do the
                                    hill to Pt. Richmond and some could experience the
                                    tunnel. The route over the hill from Canal Blvd. is
                                    quite gentle; it's the shorter steeper return side
                                    that is to be feared.

                                    I was apparently the only one to get a flat that day,
                                    In George Miller Park, and while three trikers took
                                    time to fix my flat, the tunnel party dropped by on
                                    their way to the All's Fare Cafe. As they left, they
                                    were quickly replaced by several handcycle trikers,
                                    who's machines make ours look slow by comparison. Wish
                                    I hadn't been so involved with my tire situation.

                                    We gathered at the All's Fare Cafe for some light
                                    breakfast fare indoors, and much too much
                                    conversation. Then we reassembled at the top of the
                                    hill for a celebratory gravity run, and returned as a
                                    dispersed group to our starting point on Rydin Rd.
                                    and the Bay Trail. I don't know what others did after
                                    that, but Andrew on his Trice went christmas tree
                                    shopping and rode home with a tree tied upright to his
                                    rear rack, if the pictures he posted to BROL are to be
                                    believed. And I do believe them.

                                    We must do this again sometime. You never know who's
                                    going to show up, but turnouts like raise our
                                    expectations.

                                    Richard Arnold

                                    Looking for last minute shopping deals?