Glaurung's Reminitions

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 19, 2013
      In all of creation, nothing, no one, not one thing has ever began its existence in an imperfect state...at least in principle it was not intended so. I was not an exception to this truth either...

      I did not gain sentience until Michael did, and upon that day I began my aternity living only in spirit, in the mind of my alter twin brother. Not an eternity without beginning or end and fathoming all things in their entirety, but an aternity where I only fathomed only the entirety of everything after my existence...He was very beautiful, my brother Michael, also known as Rex. He only knew, and only loved...others. His was a pure heart until Morgrin, for vainglorious gain, sought his corruption.

      I could not tolerate this...it would not be endured. Michael was my own, he belonged to me. I was entrusted as his guardian and keeper, and I allowed selfishness to enter my heart...I would not share my brother , not with anyone. And I would certainly not allow them to mold him into what they had envisioned, and so I sought to mold him after myself, to share him with no one. He would be mine alone...for all time.

      Michael was taught to steal by others, so I aided him, guided him down this path, but it was to no avail. He did not covet the material things of this world. He was taught to hate, to loath those who had committed crimes against him without reason or justification, but it also failed. He only knew to forgive.

      The others had begun to give up hope, Michael would not be corrupted, and so all the time and wealth invested in his creation was to bear no fruit for the goals and desires of the Mafia, since he loved only others, and did not put consideration towards himself. But I knew there was one last thing to try, one more hand that had yet to be played...I taught Michael...to love himself.

      It was not hard, I merely had to tell the truth to him that he was selfless and noble, and I withheld teaching him the virtue of humility, to recognize that he was not the source of his own gifts of intelligence and kindness, and so he believed himself to be the source of his own righteousness...and then I had him.

      His fall from grace was not sudden or swift, he now possessed self knowledge, but did not have humility. He was open to temptations of pride, and it came before the fall. Stealing became natural, he believed he was entitled to what he took. Holding grudges was natural, with out humility to back him, the crimes of others committing unwarranted wrongs against him did not feel like that they had to be borne, but resented. And murder...that did not come quite so easily as the other sins. Despite how far Michael had fallen, there was still as spark of decency left in his rotting heart, he could not kill...not yet.

      And so finally, I taught him that the worst of crimes were those offenses that were committed against his own person, those who dared harm him and did him wrong were not worth to let live...but he could not quite bring himself to murder...and so I aided him. I would lend him my own hate, my own guilt, and it would push him over the edge and into utter darkness, allow him to bury the guilt of his sins and crimes within myself. Michael had fallen.

      For many years he carried on, a hollow shell of his former self, while I clung to him, like a parasite, drawing the last bit of selflessness from him and leaving him only with love of self. He eventually tired to reform himself, he tried to make friends with Maelstrom, Chardra and others, but he drove them away in spite of himself. A heart that does not have the humility to despise itself can never love others.

      Through it all I thought I had him, my brother Michael would be mine forever, I would take him to hell with me and share him with no others. I thought I had won...but I did not anticipate that Michael would begin to loathe himself...and I never anticipated that I would make the mistake of all other foolish villains, and believe my own lies. I never once believed that what I did was right, unlike other villains before me, I recognized the truth, it was beautiful and holy. And I rejected it, I set up falsehoods, knowing their nature to be lies, I knowingly and willingly chose lies over the truth...because I loved only myself, I did not care for the truth, I wanted my opinions to be the truth...or so I thought.

      I knew then that despite my own fall from grace, in spite of my dragging down Michael with me, I still loved my brother. It was a gift given to me that I could not part with, and if I truly loved Michael, then it was time to choose what was best for him over my love of my own lies... Michael already desired to reform himself, he wished to regain the grace he lost, he failed time and again, driving away Corrine, Chvana, Ellwin and others. But he never gave up, we both shared a certain tenaciousness and stubbornness.

      At first I fought against this, but my efforts were too successful and frightened even me. Michael became an engine of rage, powered on by a self hate which drove him to murder and ruin, destroying many lives in the wake of his furry and blind wrath at having his mate Sirena kidnapped, his hate bringing about her eventual death from heart break. Michael neared his own end, being hastened by his hate and wont for destruction, but I repented, I could not fathom truth in its entirety, and so I could not fully reject it, and begged Michael to turn from the path I had set him on so many years ago, and while he was perched on the precipice to damnation, to my tearful joy, he relented.

      A few years have passed since, we were both granted a period of peace. Michael had come to maturity and self mastery, and despite how far he had fallen, my brother was becoming more beautiful than I had hoped. His Father Morgrin had turned from darkness as well. Michael has won Shyreen as his Queen and I seek now only to fulfill my role as his guardian, and to help raise his children, my nieces and nephew...but I fear this peace is not to last...for there are more trials ahead. But I do not fear them...with my brother renewed and both of us firmly set in a desire to do what is right, because it is right, we will overcome this next darkness.

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiVjKF5OquE
    • wynnyellea
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 28, 2013
        {{wow this is really nicely done!}}

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 29, 2013
          Thanks :) too bad youtube took down the song though, search "swordland ost" on youtube and it will bring up the 3 min song that helped inspire me. Its from Sword Art Online, great show.