Re: Harmonic Convergence (Katara, Shanti)

  • im2smart4dad
    Message 1 of 59 , Nov 29, 2009
      > "You moved me here...?" It was a simple statement, but Shanti's voice was filled with a kind of awe. "And me so big, and you so small, and the woods on fire... You are both sensible and brave, little one. You have my deep respect."

      Katara's fan of tail flicked when Shanti said that Katara had earned Shanti's respect. "Well thank you, but your awe inspiring. I want to be strong like you are."

      > She looked at nothing in particular for several moments as she went over the events of yesterday's battle. Then, voice heavy with loathing, she said, "The thing is, I *hate* fights. Hate 'em." The words hung in the air between them. "What do you think that Luxray's problem was, anyway? That's not his den. I sniffed it carefully before taking shelter there, and it didn't smell like anybody recent. If he wanted it that badly, all he had to do was ask us to leave. Yeesh." Then she remembered what sparked off the fun, and gave Katara a stern look. "By the same token, if someone *does* ask us to leave, we are not going to Ember them in the face, 'k? We are going to nod our heads sagely, say 'Yes sir, No sir, Anything you say, sir', and then we are going to go Away."

      "I don't like fights either Shanti, but-" Katara turned her head and looked at Shanti with feirce green eyes "- we shouldn't have let that bully walk all over us. If we gave in, it would have gone all over the forest, and our stuff would have been taken more. Which would you rather have, the title of the weak, or the title of the brave. I'd rather be brave. This is a new world to you Shanti, you don't know it like I do."

      > Shanti's eyes were half-closed again, and for a time it did not seem that she was going to reply. "I'm going to," she said finally. "I mean, I kind of have to now, don't I? Let's face it, I need it pretty badly. Plus you went out and caught it for me... Katara, I know how you feel about such things, and that must have been very hard for you. I'm touched that you would hunt for me. I'll try very hard not to make you have to do it again. I'm sorry..."

      Katara looked back into the forest again. Her eyes closed, her body quivered as she tryed not to sound upset or angered by Shanti's words. "Shanti, if I didn't want you eating meat, then I simply would have rammed a tree and brought down apples, but I didn't did I? I had to help you, so I did. Think nothing of it."

      --- In Realm_light@yahoogroups.com, "legionsix" <marius_peregrine@...> wrote:

      > > Katara smiled. "That's what friends are for. I'm sorry about
      > > the tight fit, but there's no way I could have gotten you to
      > > the cave."
      >
      > "You moved me here...?" It was a simple statement, but Shanti's voice was filled with a kind of awe. "And me so big, and you so small, and the woods on fire... You are both sensible and brave, little one. You have my deep respect."
      >
      > She looked at nothing in particular for several moments as she went over the events of yesterday's battle. Then, voice heavy with loathing, she said, "The thing is, I *hate* fights. Hate 'em." The words hung in the air between them. "What do you think that Luxray's problem was, anyway? That's not his den. I sniffed it carefully before taking shelter there, and it didn't smell like anybody recent. If he wanted it that badly, all he had to do was ask us to leave. Yeesh." Then she remembered what sparked off the fun, and gave Katara a stern look. "By the same token, if someone *does* ask us to leave, we are not going to Ember them in the face, 'k? We are going to nod our heads sagely, say 'Yes sir, No sir, Anything you say, sir', and then we are going to go Away."
      >
      > The Absol flopped back over onto one side with a sigh. Her thoughts were becoming disjointed, rambling; the fight itself, her mother's voice, that fierce blue light that had come from her forehead. She didn't know what to make of the experience yet, and it was making her head hurt. "You know what I thought I heard when I was down? I thought I heard Mother say that I'm not weak. Makes sense so far, hmm? But then she said that the storm the other night wasn't a disaster, it was just rain. What do you suppose she meant...?"
      >
      > She dozed off briefly; when her voice came back it was rueful and a little embarrassed. "Note to self, Shanti: Do not put on a fierce display unless you're pretty sure you can back it up." She gave Katara a sheepish look. "Sorry if I scared you..." she mumbled.
      >
      > > Katara's voice dropped, her smile faded and she looked away from
      > > Shanti... "Have you eaten the Starly yet?"
      >
      > Shanti's eyes were half-closed again, and for a time it did not seem that she was going to reply. "I'm going to," she said finally. "I mean, I kind of have to now, don't I? Let's face it, I need it pretty badly. Plus you went out and caught it for me... Katara, I know how you feel about such things, and that must have been very hard for you. I'm touched that you would hunt for me. I'll try very hard not to make you have to do it again. I'm sorry..."
      >
      > = = =
      > Marius.

    • legionsix
      Message 59 of 59 , Feb 5, 2010
        >> A dread seized [Shanti], deeper than the one she normally felt
        >> as a cripple in a harsh world. Was Katara's hole like this
        >> too? "Sweetie...?" she called weakly; then, a little more
        >> forcefully, "We've got to get out of here..."

        > Katara blinked open her eyes, still tired from waking up and
        > talking with Shanti. She rolled over and came out of her nest
        > and into the sunlight. ..."Shanti? What's wrong? Oh. I get it.
        > You're not used to sleeping in tree roots yet. You'll get used to
        > it soon." Katara smiled and shook her fur, waking herself up.
        > She yawned and stretched. Then she sat up and flicked her tails.

        But the Absol had already left; she'd rested a little more, eaten the last of the healing berries the Vulpix had brought her, and set out sometime before sunrise. Walking quietly in the predawn, free for a little while from the nightmares and able to think, she had no better idea of where she was going than she had the night of the storm; just fondness for her little friend who had sheltered and cared for her these last few days, and the hope that Katara would find her own peace.

        == finis ==

        = = =
        Marius.