Harmonic Convergence (Katara, Shanti)

  • legionsix
    Message 1 of 59 , Oct 8, 2009
      A long, low rumble of thunder rolled over the forest, only slightly behind the hard rain already pelting the landscape and every living thing in it. To Shanti, a young Absol, the sound only seemed to be stating the obvious. Obvious, that is, to everyone but Shanti; for she had been born without the weather-sensing apparatus that every other Absol sported over one ear, and the world had reminded her of this almost every chance it got in the year or so of her independence.

      Now, drenched and huddling inside a shallow cavern, she wondered if it was just her imagination or if the storm was mocking her. For some reason she always seemed to get wetter than anybody else--or more windblown, or muddier, or knocked off her perch harder than really necessary. It was as if the elements were laughing at her, poking fun at her disability. She'd mostly managed to maintain a sense of humor about it; most of the time she simply laughed right back. But today she didn't really feel like playing "Gotcha!" with the weather, and the whole thing had her rather depressed.

      Her mother had always tried to reassure her at times like this, reminding her that even an Absol who knew what was coming still had to get out of it like everybody else. And, indeed, the mere fact that she was still alive after five seasons on her own had to be proof of *something.* This thought was the most comforting one she'd had all day. She relaxed a little, laying all the way down and resting her chin on her paws. With a long sigh, seemingly echoed by another round of thunder, she thought of all the clever little adaptations she'd made to compensate, and knew that, while she might never really be at home in the wider world, she would endure--and, hey, maybe she'd even turn out okay...

      = = =
      Marius the Wanderer: Roleplayer, Storyteller and Citizen of Rome
    • legionsix
      Message 59 of 59 , Feb 5, 2010
        >> A dread seized [Shanti], deeper than the one she normally felt
        >> as a cripple in a harsh world. Was Katara's hole like this
        >> too? "Sweetie...?" she called weakly; then, a little more
        >> forcefully, "We've got to get out of here..."

        > Katara blinked open her eyes, still tired from waking up and
        > talking with Shanti. She rolled over and came out of her nest
        > and into the sunlight. ..."Shanti? What's wrong? Oh. I get it.
        > You're not used to sleeping in tree roots yet. You'll get used to
        > it soon." Katara smiled and shook her fur, waking herself up.
        > She yawned and stretched. Then she sat up and flicked her tails.

        But the Absol had already left; she'd rested a little more, eaten the last of the healing berries the Vulpix had brought her, and set out sometime before sunrise. Walking quietly in the predawn, free for a little while from the nightmares and able to think, she had no better idea of where she was going than she had the night of the storm; just fondness for her little friend who had sheltered and cared for her these last few days, and the hope that Katara would find her own peace.

        == finis ==

        = = =
        Marius.