March 22, 2013

  • mikereallygoodquotes
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 21, 2013
      Really Good Quotes "A mind, once expanded by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
      You can read this same issue in a browser version at either of the following locations:
      http://www.reallygoodquotesonline.com

      Subscribe to RGQ
      Unsubscribe from RGQ
      Submit Reader Comment
      Submit 15 Minutes of Fame
      Submit Image or Quote
      Submit to Best of RGQ
      Submit Tip of the Day
      Submit Limerick
      Submit Photo
      View Reader Photos

      Greetings Quotaholics,

      Sometimes I think I'm getting soft in my old age. Not just soft in the body because that is a given at my age. Even people who have been lifelong fitness fanatics will inevitably find themselves no longer able to run that half marathon quite as quickly as they did in their younger days or do as many pushups as they used to be able to do. Even if they are the exception to the rule and set a personal best time for that half marathon they inevitably will pay the price the next morning when they try to jump out of bed, the slings and arrows of outrageous and heretofore unknown muscles making their much abused presence known. If they can do as many pushups as they used to when they were 25, it is more likely the next morning they will be tossing back a couple of aspirin and calling their doctor about that pesky rotator cuff. The body just isn't able to recover as quickly as it used to.

      No, I mean soft in the head, as in realizing I no longer hold dear some of the cherished ideals of my youth. I really believed we could and would change the world with our sit-ins, love-ins, demonstrations and protest marches. We all felt in those days that a real revolution was right around the corner. In fact many of us used to preface our rhetoric with the phrase, "When the revolution comes..." followed by our idealistic pie-in-the-sky plans for the inevitable social changes that we felt were bound to occur. Change did come, but certainly not the way we expected. The counter-culture of yester-year has, for the most part, morphed into the materialistic baby boomer generation of today. Many retired old hippies such as yours truly feel as though we have somehow sold out and betrayed the high flying ideals of those heady days when we really believed we could levitate the Pentagon and stop the Vietnam war.

      I swore up and down in those days that if I ever had kids I would never buy them war toys such as toy guns or plastic swords. But the day came that my two sons went out to play with their friends who had the coveted store-bought toy guns and my boys were reduced to using broken tree branches as weapons.l I felt guilty and caved. Thus went most of the high flying ideals of my youth. Yet one thing that has not changed since then is my intense dislike of real guns. Don't like them, never had and I doubt I ever will. I have too many friends that have either been murdered or committed suicide by firearms to ever feel totally at ease around them. I am quite certain that I shall never own a gun.

      Having said all that, I fairly pounced on the article I found online from Opposing Views.

      It seems that the father of an 11 year old boy took a picture of his son holding a .22 rifle and posted it on Facebook. Shortly thereafter a representative of New Jersey's Department of Youth and Family Services showe up at his front door after receiving an anonymous phone call. The father in question, one Shawn Moore, said two people from the state's social services agency came to his house on the night of March with four police officer. They said they were responding to a call about a child holding a firearm and demanded to see all the guns in the house. Mr. Moore was not there at first but his wife called him and was talking to him throughout the incident until he arrived at home.

      They also had the presence of mind to call their lawyer who listened to the conversation between the DYFS, police and the Moore family. Upon the attorneys advice they refused entry into their home by the DYFS. After they were denied entry, a DYFS representative threatened to take his children unless entry was gained. It seems the DYFS wanted to enter the house and access the gun safe so that she could make sure they were properly registered even though New Jersey has no gun registration requirements. The authorities eventually gave up and left the Moore home. Did I mention they had no warrant?

      Mr. Moore is highly qualified to carry firearms, having certification as a firearms instructor by three seperate agencies. He also has made sure that his son is also certified as required by the state of New Jersey. Anyone under the age of 18 must pass a state safety test in order to go hunting. Mr. Moore said that as of Monday the 18th that the DYFS is still insisting on seeing his safe.

      I have already stated here how much I dislike guns but I have to give credit to Mr. Moore for not only being thoroughly grounded in firearms safety but also in knowing his rights under the law and standing up to the authorities. I still hate guns but the over zealous actions of the state authorities still bothers me.

      What about you, dear readers? Should Mr. Moore allow the DYFS into his house? Do you think the authorities are over zealous or are they just doing their job? Should the government, state or federal, be allowed into anyones homes for gun inspection without any warrant? How do you feel about gun registration in general.

      GrammieSammie

      Comment On This Article

      Isn't it worth $1 a month to you to keep RGQ in your mailbox?  Please click the link and direct your contribution to keep RGQ going.

      Today's Quotes

      The most terrible of motives and the most unanswerable of responses: Because. - Victor Hugo

      A world of facts lies outside and beyond the world of words. - Thomas Henry Huxley

      Today's Chuckle

      Hiking
      [Thanks dEE]

      A father came home from a long business trip to find his son riding a very fancy new 10 speed bike. "Where did you get the money for the bike? It must have cost $300."

      "Easy, Dad," the boy replied. "I earned it hiking."

      "Come on," the father said. "Tell me the truth."

      "That is the truth," the boy replied. "Every night you were gone, Mr. Reynolds from the grocery store would come over to see Mom. He'd give me a $20 bill and tell me to take a hike!"

      Life Sentences

      Anger is a killing thing: it kills the man who angers, for each rage leaves him less than he had been before - it takes something from him.

      To make democracy work, we must be a notion of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.

      A wise man fights to win, but he is twice a fool who has no plan for possible defeat. - all from Louis L'Amour, American author, born on this day in 1908

      Subscribe to reallygoodquotes