February 15, 2013

  • mikereallygoodquotes
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 14, 2013
      Untitled Document
      Really Good Quotes "A mind, once expanded by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
      You can read this same issue in a browser version at either of the following locations:

      Subscribe to RGQ
      Unsubscribe from RGQ
      Submit Reader Comment
      Submit 15 Minutes of Fame
      Submit Image or Quote
      Submit to Best of RGQ
      Submit Tip of the Day
      Submit Limerick
      Submit Photo
      View Reader Photos

      Grammie wasn't able to write today.  Here's an article from February 2012.

      Greetings Quotaholics

      For many of us that have grown up in California, specifically in the SoCal or San Diego area (city and county both) Spanish is practically a second language. This part of America, the southwestern United States, was settled - or conquered, depending on how you look at it - long before the concept of the United States was even a twinkling in the eyes of our forefathers. A veritable plethora of cities, streets and various other places have Spanish names. I won't bore you with a list, you're smart enough to figure that one out yourselves.

      Many Spanish words have slipped into every day English usage by people who sometimes don't realize that what they are saying is Spanish or of Spanish origin, giving many an almost de facto knowledge of the language. Spanish is the most studied foreign language in our public schools. I'm not counting the swear words, which seem to almost be the first words people learn in a foreign language. Many businesses here make a point of letting folks know "hablamos espanol." (Sorry, couldn't find the tilde for the 'n' in espanol.) Not being able to speak Spanish can, at times, be a distinct disadvantage especially in the job market. Being fluently bi-lingual is a virtual guarantee at landing a coveted job, all other things being equal.

      Not so in the case of Alejandrina Cabrera of San Luis, Arizona. Ms. Cabrera has been battling for her right to run for mayor of the town of San Luis after having her name removed from the ballot due to her lack of proficiency in English. San Luis is a predominantly Spanish speaking town with an 98.7% Hispanic population, 87% of them speaking Spanish in their homes. Sounds like it shouldn't be a problem, right? Wrong.

      Despite having been born in the USA, Ms. Cabrera was, as a young child, taken back to Mexico to be raised there due to the lower cost of living. She did not return until she was in her teens. Ms. Cabrera can speak, read and write Spanish and speaks English well enough to get by, albeit with a heavy accent. But it seems as though she cannot speak, read, write and understand enough English to be able to meet the job requirements of mayor, which are legally mandated.

      Even though she originally had her name removed from the ballot by the current mayor and her political opponent, this story is more than a local election dispute. It conceivably has broad implications in America, "a country that prides itself as a melting pot."

      As an RGQ sidebar here, I dislike the term "melting pot." It implies a melting together of all ingredients that thereby lose their individual flavors. I prefer the term salad bowl, where each ingredient remains to be savored on its own. But that's just me.

      Last month, January 27th, a Yuma County Superior Court judge ruled the woman's name should be taken off the ballot. Cabrera appealed the ruling to the Arizona Supreme Court which upheld the lower courts ruling last Tuesday, February 7. It isn't clear exactly why the Judge ruled as she did but a written decision is due to follow.

      "When he took my right to be on the ballot, he took away the right of the people who want to vote for me," Cabrera said. But did they really take away her rights and the rights of the voters of San Luis, Arizona? Why don't they give the citizens of San Luis a voice in this? Even though it is legally mandated otherwise, shouldn't the majority rule in this case? Or should we enforce an unwritten English-as-the-official-language rule?

      As we have learned recently in America, what the people want and vote for are not necessarily what they get.

      Despite what many think, we are NOT a majority-rules democracy, where the people vote directly for what they want. We are a republic, where we vote for representatives who then make the laws we are obliged to live by. Check it out.

      Despite losing the popular vote, George W. Bush was elected president for a second term by the electoral college, not by the popular vote.

      Despite the majority of Californians voting for legalization of marijuana for medical use the federal government has chosen to continue persecuting citizens for choosing and providing medicinal marijuana.

      Despite the majority of Californians voting against equal marriage rights for gay people, a small majority, that vote also was nullified by a court ruling as being unconstitutional. That is, against the California constitution, or so I am given to understand, not the federal one, (as the ruling by a California court is not binding on federal matters.)

      Okay, dear readers, it seems I've gone off on a tangent. I will try to stay on topic here. Is this about the rights of a single citizen to run for office? Is it about English as the official language? Do you think Ms. Cabrera is truly hindered from doing her job due to her lack of English language skills in this case and if so, how and why? Is it about the increasing disenfranchisement of the American voter, is it about both? You choose.

      I believe that we are solely responsible for our choices and we have to accept the consequences of every deed, word, and thought throughout our lifetime.
      ~Elizabeth Kubler-Ross~

      Life is a sum of all your choices.
      ~Albert Camus~

      It is our choices that show us what we truly are, far more than our abilities.
      ~J.K. Rowling~ (Harry Potter and The Chamber of Secrets)

      Comment On This Article

      Isn't it worth $1 a month to you to keep RGQ in your mailbox?  Please click the link and direct your contribution to keep RGQ going.

      Today's Quotes

      Never confuse looking your best with doing your best.  - Mardy Grothe

      As I grow older , I regret to say that a detestable habit of thinking seems to be getting a hold of me.  - H. Rider Haggard

      Today's Chuckle

      Quick Thinking
      [Thanks Bonnie]

      A fourth-grade teacher was giving her pupils a lesson in logic. "Here is the situation," she said. "A man is standing up in a boat in the middle of a river, fishing. He loses his balance, falls in, and begins splashing and yelling for help. His wife hears the commotion, knows he can't swim, and runs down to the bank. Why do you think she ran to the bank?"

      A girl raised her hand and asked, "To pull out all his savings?"

      Life Sentences

      Beauty is a radiance that originates from within and comes from inner security and strong character.

      I'm not involved in the politics of religion, but I love what the message is.

      You have to count on living every single day in a way you believe will make you feel good about your life - so that if it were over tomorrow, you'd be content with yourself. – all from Jane Seymour, English actress, born on this day in 1951

      Subscribe to reallygoodquotes