February 13, 2013

  • mikereallygoodquotes
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 12, 2013
      Untitled Document
      Really Good Quotes "A mind, once expanded by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
      You can read this same issue in a browser version at either of the following locations:
      http://www.reallygoodquotesonline.com

      Subscribe to RGQ
      Unsubscribe from RGQ
      Submit Reader Comment
      Submit 15 Minutes of Fame
      Submit Image or Quote
      Submit to Best of RGQ
      Submit Tip of the Day
      Submit Limerick
      Submit Photo
      View Reader Photos

      Greetings, Quotaholics:

      Drug and alcohol addiction affects millions of people in the US. I assume these numbers are proportional in other areas of the industrialized world as well. I have no idea if problems are lesser or greater in emerging nations but I would assume that even there, the problem exists.

      According to timesargus.com, there is effective treatment for addictions to both drugs and alcohol. The unfortunate fact is that few people are given this treatment. There are 23.5 million teens and adults addicted to either alcohol or drugs and only about 10% get treatment of any kind. The majority of treatment programs fail to keep the addict sober. Most of the current treatment programs are outdated and do not use the newer methods shown in scientific studies to be more effective.

      Many people go into treatment as a result of a court order. Typically, Americans do more research before buying a car than when selecting a treatment program. The National Center on Addiction and Substance Abuse at Columbia University concluded that "the vast majority of people in need of addiction treatment do not receive anything that approximates evidence-based care."

      The report found that many treatment providers are not medical professionals and do not possess the knowledge, skills, or credentials necessary to provide the care needed for the newer methodologies to work. It was suggested that this lack would be a form of medical malpractice.

      Anne M. Fletcher has written a book describing the lacks of addiction treatment in a book called Inside Rehab. She does admit that there are some exceptions to the inadequate treatment programs but that many are using methods dating from the 1950s. She is advocating for the science-based practices to be widely used as well as exploding some of the myths associated with treatment.

      One of the biggest myths is that most addicts must go to a rehab center. "The truth is that most people recover (1) completely on their own, (2) by attending self-help groups, and/or (3) by seeing a counselor or therapist individually," she writes.

      The cost of the treatment protocol doesn't really give an indication of efficacy. Some low cost, low funded programs were effective while many of the celebrity treatment venues were not. Part of the issue is with the time it takes to treat the addiction.

      The usual 30-day in house treatment isn't enough to get the patient who has spent years with the addiction to change their life around. When outside rehab, there are many who are not given medicinal help with staying clean, especially if they were addicted to opioids. Those who were given chemical help were sometimes discouraged when using a 12-step program as they believe these are a crutch and are against their use.

      If you need treatment, you need to find one that is a good fit. Even those that are well run will not work for everybody. Often, a 12-step program is effective, but if you don't believe in a higher power, you might want to find a different method of treatment. When meeting with a therapist, ask for a treatment plan. It should be individualized and it should have some measureable criteria. Also make sure the credentials of those treating patients are valid and appropriate.

      Will treatment also address underlying issues such as depression or other problems that would get in the way of long term recovery.

      Do you know anyone who has gone through drug and/or alcohol rehab? Did they remain sober after treatment? Do you know anyone who has used Alcoholics Anonymous or Narcotics Anonymous? Were they able to achieve and maintain sobriety?

      There are many other methods used to help people eschew either drugs or alcohol. CRAFT, or Community Reinforcement and Family Training is mentioned in the article as being valid and successful. Do you know of any others and what their success rate is?

      Soberly,

      Comment On This Article

      Isn't it worth $1 a month to you to keep RGQ in your mailbox?  Please click the link and direct your contribution to keep RGQ going.

      Today's Quotes

      I never knew what to do with a paper except to put it in a side pocket or pass it to a clerk who understood it better than I did.  - Ulysses S. Grant

      Common sense is very uncommon.  - Horace Greeley

      Today's Chuckle

      Wedded Bliss
      [Thanks dEE]

      Tim decided to tie the knot with his long time girlfriend.

      One evening, after the honeymoon, he was assembling some loads for an upcoming hunt. His wife was standing there at the bench watching him. After along period of silence she finally speaks.

      "Honey, I've been thinking, now that we are married I think it's time you quit hunting, shooting, hand loading, and fishing. Maybe you should sell your guns and boat."

      Tim gets this horrified look on his face. She says, "Darling, what's wrong?"

      "For a minute there you were sounding like my ex-wife."

      "Ex wife?" she screams, "I didn't know you were married before!"

      "I wasn't."

      Life Sentences

      Families are the Nurseries of all Societies; and the First combinations of mankind.

      There may be some so very Ignorant, that they know not how to Pray.

      History is the story of events, with praise or blame. – all from Cotton Mather, American Puritan minister who died on this day in 1728

      Subscribe to reallygoodquotes