January 16, 2013

  • mikereallygoodquotes
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 16, 2013
      Really Good Quotes "A mind, once expanded by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
      You can read this same issue in a browser version at either of the following locations:

      Subscribe to RGQ
      Unsubscribe from RGQ
      Submit Reader Comment
      Submit 15 Minutes of Fame
      Submit Image or Quote
      Submit to Best of RGQ
      Submit Tip of the Day
      Submit Limerick
      Submit Photo
      View Reader Photos

      Greetings, Quotaholics:

      Having a functional computer links me to the rest of the world without me having to leave the comfort of my home. I assume it does the same for readers since this is only available either via email or on the web. So we are all using the Internet to communicate.

      I don't know what the percentage of private users is, but I'm sure that even small businesses in industrialized countries and large business worldwide, along with governments across the globe have some Internet access. We are used to having computers doing so much for us and while we know there is some risk involved, it seems worth it.

      Last fall, South Carolina had a security breach and much of our personal data was compromised. The state has offered us, free of charge, credit reports and some monitoring to test for identity theft.

      We like to think that at least the Big Guys can afford to have adequate security measures in place and have a way to protect all the data in their care. However, I just read about some place in Canada losing a hard drive, so even with the best of intentions, there are always accidents (idiots?).

      Securelist.com reported on operation "Red October" and from what I can understand of this far too technical article, we have a problem. I don't mean we, as in the US, I mean we as in the world. The shortened term for the campaign is Rocra.

      This has been going on for at least five years and diplomatic networks, government and scientific research facilities, and intelligence data gathering entities have all been attacked via mobile devices, computer systems, and network equipment.

      Kaspersky Lab has been analyzing data for the last several months and found that malware is attacking specific organizations, mostly in Eastern Europe and Central Asia. However, countries outside this region, including Western Europe, parts of South American and Africa, and Australia, along with the US have been attacked.

      The eight main categories of targets: government, diplomatic/embassies, research institutions, trade and commerce, nuclear/energy research, oil and gas companies, aerospace, and military.

      Kaspersky found out about the problem when an anonymous entity supplied samples of data last October. Since that time, they have found several hundred infected computers but are fairly certain there are far more out there not yet identified. The Russian Federation has the most known infections with 35, there are six more countries with ten or more, and thirteen more with between five and ten. The US has six identified infections.

      There is only speculation about who is behind this attack but there are two known factors. The exploits appear to be Chinese in origin and the Rocra malware modules have been created by Russian-speaking operatives. At this point in time, there is no evidence that it is a State sponsored attack. Having said that, some of the data stolen is geopolitical and can be sold on the black market to the highest bidder, anywhere.

      The malware performs either "persistent" or "one-time" tasks, depending on how it is executed. There are methods to steal data from phones, with Windows Mobile, iPhone, and Nokia the systems found to be vulnerable.

      There are over 1000 malware modules in 30 different categories created between 2007 and 2013. A list is included at the link. Kaspersky is working with government organizations and law enforcement as well as other international computer security organizations to help contain the threat.

      I know it is a dangerous world out there and that bad guys will always try to do the bad stuff with the good guys chasing them down and trying to make them stop. This is, however, a bit more than I thought was going on.

      Do you feel your data is well-protected? Do you have any opinions on what should happen to hackers? Does it matter if they call themselves hactivists instead and purport to be doing this for our own good?

      I'm hoping I understood the article well enough to have shared the gist of the thing with our readers. If you found my interpretation to be in error, please feel free to correct me. I speak a bit of geek, but this was a highly technical article and in some places over my head.

      How do we keep the world safe when there is always somebody willing to sell us all down the river for a few bucks?

      Comment On This Article

      Isn't it worth $1 a month to you to keep RGQ in your mailbox?  Please click the link and direct your contribution to keep RGQ going.

      Today's Quotes

      I am a Ford, not a Lincoln. My addresses will never be as eloquent as Mr. Lincoln's. But I will do my very best to equal his brevity and his plain speaking. - Gerald R. Ford

      The kindest word to describe my performance in school was Sloth. - Harrison Ford

      Today's Chuckle

      Give What You Can
      [Thanks dEE]

      A driver was stuck in a traffic jam on the highway outside Washington DC. Nothing was moving. Suddenly, a man knocks on the window. The driver rolls down the window and asks, "What's going on?"

      "Terrorists have kidnapped Congress, and they're asking for a $100 million dollar ransom. Otherwise, they are going to douse them all in gasoline and set them on fire. We are going from car to car, collecting donations."

      "How much is everyone giving, on average?" the driver asks.

      The man replies, "Roughly a gallon."

      Life Sentences

      I kissed my first girl and smoked my first cigarette on the same day. I haven't had time for tobacco since.

      God tells me how the music should sound, but you stand in the way.

      Can't you read? The score demands "con amore," and what are you doing? You are playing it like married men! – all from Arturo Toscanini, Italian conductor who died on this day in 1957

      Subscribe to reallygoodquotes