January 4, 2013

  • mikereallygoodquotes
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 3, 2013
      Untitled Document
      Really Good Quotes "A mind, once expanded by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
      You can read this same issue in a browser version at either of the following locations:
      http://www.reallygoodquotesonline.com

      Subscribe to RGQ
      Unsubscribe from RGQ
      Submit Reader Comment
      Submit 15 Minutes of Fame
      Submit Image or Quote
      Submit to Best of RGQ
      Submit Tip of the Day
      Submit Limerick
      Submit Photo
      View Reader Photos

      Greetings Quotaholics,

      Happy New Year to everyone out in RGQ land. We here at RGQ hope to bring to you, in the New Year, interesting and entertaining articles for you perusement and amusement on a regular basis. I can't really say that about everyone who writes here cos I haven't spoken to anyone else but myself, but this is the answer I gave to me after I was interviewed by me about my New Years Resolution (s).

      I don't usually make New Years resolutions, at least not seriously. But what with everyone asking what mine are and since conversations about serious subjects seem to be unofficially verboten at work, I decided on one or two subjects to talk about, for the sake of small-talk. My resolution is not one of the usual subjects like I'm going to lose weight, (which I have been doing steadily for the last 11 months, I love my baggy wardrobe) or I am going to exercise more (against my religion and illegal in Grammieworld; it is a misdemeanor but can be upgraded to a felony depending on the severity.) Wait, I take that back, I do like swimming and dancing, both good exercise. But no gym memberships or anything crazy like that. But nearly every news/talk show I watch on my laptop tends to report weight loss as a top resolution. Maybe i should put it on the list though since I'm already losing weight, I can count it as a success. Start off with a win. Staying positive is a good step forward into the New Year.

      I want to learn how to fold an origami crane. I have a couple of different methods or patterns if you will but can't seem to make them on my own. I need a teacher. So that is a resolution, finding said teacher. I've heard that once you fold five cranes on your own you will no longer need assistance and will never forget how to do it. I wonder if that last part us really true.

      Once I can do that, my next goal is to make 1,000 paper cranes. I saw a program in which some Japanese do this then place the cranes around a special shrine. Most often a WWII memorial was mentioned. I don't think the location is as important as making 1,000 of them. The upshot being that if you do this you will get a wish to come true. I'm sure some people have started out on this goal with a materialistic bent but I learned from the program that spiritual/mental/emotional benefits quite often ensue. I shall leave my cranes at the Friendship Bell on Shelter Island in San Diego, and at the Fishermen's Memorial, also on Shelter Island. My wish? Dunno yet. Lots of paper to fold.

      Another resolution for me could be to get my articles I write for RGQ written during the week ahead of deadline, instead of at the last minute before I go to work. Hmm, I guess I've been a caregiver long enough as I drifted off, thinking of writing a program for myself like we do for our clients at work. Weird thought.

      My roommate was given a gym membership as a Christmas gift so she IS working out. She doesn't live in Grammieworld so she is safe from prosecution. It appears she's actually using it but we'll see if it lasts. So many people get these gym memberships and use them somewhat at first and fall off the radar after a few months.

      Her other resolution is to save money. She wants to save up for a car is a big reason, but also she wants to get in the habit of saving a certain amount each paycheck. She won't always be saving for a car. She is not looking to buy new, so this also has a good chance in succeeding. That is a good habit to get into. If my life weren't already running a budget in the red, I'd do that too.

      A couple of other resolutions I've heard are to read more books (never a problem for me) and thinking of the consequences before they speak, from someone whose big mouth is always getting them in trouble. The details there being TMI.

      Any variations on this dear readers? Do you make resolutions? How are you at keeping them? What are your resolutions if any? What are the most far out resolutions you have ever made? What are the craziest you've heard?

      GrammieSammie

      New Year's Resolution: To tolerate fools more gladly, provided this does not encourage them to take up more of my time.
      ~James Agate~

      Happiness is too many things these days for anyone to wish it on anyone lightly. So let's just wish each other a bile-less New Year and leave it at that.
      ~Judith Crist~

      May all your troubles last as long as your New Year's resolutions!
      ~Joey Adams~

      Comment On This Article

      Isn't it worth $1 a month to you to keep RGQ in your mailbox?  Please click the link and direct your contribution to keep RGQ going.

      Today's Quotes

      It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows. - Epictetus

      The day is for honest men, the night for thieves. - Euripides

      Today's Chuckle

      Blond Men Jokes - Part 1

      A friend told the blond man: "Christmas is on a Friday this year." The blond man then said, "Let's hope it's not the Friday the 13th."

      Two blond men find three grenades, and they decide to take them to a police station. One asked: "What if one explodes before we get there?" The other says: "We'll lie and say we only found two."

      A woman phoned her blonde neighbor man and said: "Close your curtains the next time you & your wife are having sex. The whole street was watching and laughing at you yesterday." To which the blonde man replied: "Well the joke's on all of you because I wasn't even at home yesterday."

      Life Sentences

      NBC is working with a team of astrophysicists to create a new day of the week.

      Canadians still spend so much time discussing what it means to be Canadian.

      Stand-up comedy and poverty. Those were my two main endeavors. – all from Dave Foley, Canadian comedian and actor, born on this day in 1963

      Subscribe to reallygoodquotes