December 7, 2012

  • mikereallygoodquotes
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 6, 2012
      Untitled Document
      Really Good Quotes "A mind, once expanded by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
      You can read this same issue in a browser version at either of the following locations:
      http://www.reallygoodquotesonline.com

      Subscribe to RGQ
      Unsubscribe from RGQ
      Submit Reader Comment
      Submit 15 Minutes of Fame
      Submit Image or Quote
      Submit to Best of RGQ
      Submit Tip of the Day
      Submit Limerick
      Submit Photo
      View Reader Photos

      Greetings Quotaholics,

      I'm feeling rather subdued this writing day, today. Although it's the Christmas Season, (yes I said Christmas, not holiday.), many among us are not in a mood to celebrate and be festive.

      I don't know why it seems so, but it's as though this time of year is when the most heinous tragedies take place in the newsworld, often involving children such as small children being abused to death or dying in a house fire, or maybe a young mother murdered by an angry husband/boyfriend and leaving behind 4 month old twins.

      Losing a family member can change forever how one deals with the whole holiday season, any holiday, not just Christmas. My condolences go out to Bruce and his family on the loss of his son. This is just not right, parents are not supposed to outlive their children.

      I'm officially an orphan now myself, having lost both my parents years ago. It's not typical to think of us "old folks" as orphans but according to the dictionary definition we are. But losing one's parents is something most of us expect to deal with at some time in our lives. It sucks, but that's just the way it is. We lose our grandparents, our parents and suddenly we wake up one day to realize we are the oldest generation in our family and we are the old folks that family worries about. People around us start to make jokes about nursing homes and adult diapers. But losing ones child goes against the natural order of life and death as we have come to know it.

      I know a lot of people who are afraid of death and dying to the point that they can't talk about it to plan for their own funeral services. When my Dad found out he had cancer he started making his final plans. This horrified my sister who kept telling him to..." stop, I don't want to even think about it." In a way I can understand that feeling but also in a way I just don't get it. None of us want to talk of unpleasant things but death is a part of life, like it or not. And, in a way, death is emminently fair in that everyone dies; no one gets out of here alive.

      But death is not the only way to lose a family member. I once had to take a restraining order out against one of my children who was on drugs and had gotten violent in my home. The restraining order was for three years and we didn't speak for almost the whole time. Holidays were ruined for that period of time. I mourned him because although only temporary, I did lose him. Not knowing how he was doing or whether he was getting enough to eat was the least of my worries. The news broadcasts that spoke of unidentified bodies being found would send me off on crying jags until it was reported that the deceased had been identified and was not my son. It took him nearly three years to learn the error of his ways but learn he did. Now when I say something he pays attention.

      A co-worker of mine has effectively lost her husband this holiday season. He is not dead, just deported, but it has broken up a loving family. I know a lot of you are not sympathetic to the plight of deported illegals but this is one that just about anyone would have to agree that he would have made a wonderful citizen of this country, which he dearly loved. He and his wife had taken in several small children who had lost family members for one reason or another.That is in addition to their own small brood. She worked graveyard shift while he stayed home and took care of the younglings.

      He was makiing plans to get legal and get his citizenship and got deported when la migra did a warrant sweep and nabbed him by accident. They both worked at jobs most Americans wouldn't even consider taking. Hard working, clean and sober, family oriented, who stepped up to the plate when the chips were down and took care of family responsibilities as a duty of honor. I can't think of any more admirable qualities for a potential citizen of this country than those. Nearly a dozen lives, mostly innocent children, were affected by this loss.

      So that is why, dear readers, I come before you today with no article, nothing but an aching heart for those around me who are experiencing loss during this 'festive' time of year. It is never easy to lose someone but it seems to have an extra sharp sting during the Christmas season. Especially if the lost someone is your child.

      We may not have lots of money to buy fine gifts for those we love but we have something else that is far more precious. We have love and support from our families, both the ones that we were born into, and the families we have chosen for ourselves. We can walk and talk, feed and dress ourselves and we can help those around us who cannot. What better gift than that?

      Feliz Natal
      GrammieSammie

      Comment On This Article

      Isn't it worth $1 a month to you to keep RGQ in your mailbox?  Please click the link and direct your contribution to keep RGQ going.

      Today's Quotes

      We can allow satellites, planets, suns, universe, nay whole systems of universe, to be governed by laws, but the smallest insect, we wish to be created at once by special act. - Charles Darwin

      It is people who are important, not the masses. - Dorothy Day

      Today's Chuckle

      The Mistress
      [Thanks dEE]

      A very prestigious wealthy man and his wife were having dinner at a very fine restaurant when this absolutely stunning young woman comes over to their table, gives the husband a big open mouthed kiss, then says she'll see him later and walks away.

      The wife glares at her husband and says: "Who was that?"

      "Oh," replies the husband, "she's my mistress."

      "Well, that's the last straw," says the wife. "I've had enough. I want a divorce!"

      "I can understand that," replies her husband, "but remember if we get a divorce, it will mean no more shopping trips to Paris, no more wintering in Barbados, no more summers in Tuscany, no more Jaguar in the garage and no more yacht club. But the decision is yours."

      Just then, a colleague of the husband enters the restaurant with a gorgeous babe on his arm.

      "Who's that woman with Matt ?" asks the wife.

      "That's his mistress," says her husband. "Ours is prettier," she replies.

      Life Sentences

      If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all.

      Any dictator would admire the uniformity and obedience of the U.S. media.

      States are not moral agents, people are, and can impose moral standards on powerful institutions. - all from Noam Chomsky, American linguist and political writer, born on this day in 1928

      Subscribe to reallygoodquotes