November 7, 2012

  • mikereallygoodquotes
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 6 10:12 PM
      Untitled Document
      Really Good Quotes "A mind, once expanded by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
      You can read this same issue in a browser version at either of the following locations:

      Subscribe to RGQ
      Unsubscribe from RGQ
      Submit Reader Comment
      Submit 15 Minutes of Fame
      Submit Image or Quote
      Submit to Best of RGQ
      Submit Tip of the Day
      Submit Limerick
      Submit Photo
      View Reader Photos

      Greetings, Quotaholics:

      I'm writing this Monday evening and the US elections are taking place on Tuesday. By the time you read this, the elections will be over, but it is not mandatory that we have election results immediately. In the past, it was always a laborious task to count the votes but we expect immediate results in this, the electronic age.

      I'm not going to talk about politics or who the next President is going to be. I don't know. We probably won't know as you read this, but I might be surprised and there may be a winner declared, although that didn't stop a fiasco in the past. So, let's look at something else.

      The salary of the US President is $400,000 per year. There are then some monies set aside for personal expenses, which many of us would consider as salary, but isn't quite so for this position. Of course, there are a variety of perks and many additional expenses that go along with the position.

      There are two major candidates for the job as I write this. According to the New York Times, Barack Obama and Democratic Party raised $934 million and spent $852.9 million on the race. Mitt Romney and the Republican Party raised $881.8 million and spent $752.3 million. That means that the two men raised $1,825,800,000 and spent $1,605,200,000. I wrote those numbers out just so we could see the sums in total.

      It is nice to know that Obama has $134.7 million left in his war chest while Romney has $193.3 million left.

      According to this site, there was at least another $65 million spent on TV with funds from the super PACs. I have no idea how I would find figures for all the monies spent for other candidates and issues that were decided on November 6. I know that our electoral process is expensive, and it seems to me that quite a bit of money has been used for this event.

      I have tried to find understandable data about how much money is generated by sector for many of our industries here. However, I found chart after chart of data with a picture worth 1000 words and all that, but no discernible or understandable numbers for me to share with you. I can find numbers in the billions and some in the trillions, but I am unsure what they represent and rather than mislead or misinform, I will just tell you that the US has a lot of money floating in and out and round and round. There is far more money in the system than that spent by these two candidates on their bid for a $400,000 job.

      Even so, as I look at the figures of how much was raised and how much was spent, I am appalled. Perhaps I'm just not used to looking at such large numbers since my bank account doesn't have anything that looks like this.

      However, as a comparison, the recent hurricane Sandy is projected to cost about $60 billion. That is with $10 billion in property damage and between $10 and 30 billion in lost revenue. These figures come from TIME Business & Money.

      So the presidential campaign cost less than 1/5 of the damage done in just a couple days of wind and rain. Maybe it is a bargain.

      Of course, the cost of the presidential race isn't the only money spent on politics. I have no idea how much money was spent by other candidates as they sought the Republican Party nomination, but that is money that is simply gone. There are many other positions up for election as well as issues to be decided. And there is the cost of actually holding the elections to be factored in. So when all is said and done, the price of the elections on Tuesday came closer to the property damage done by Sandy. Somehow, this isn't making me feel better.

      Do you have any idea how much it costs in your area to get somebody elected? This has been said to be the most expensive election we have ever held. Do you think we are getting our money's worth on this? Was there something more important, something more pressing that could have benefitted from all these funds?

      Should there be a limit on how much any candidate can spend on a campaign? Does limiting donations do anything to limit the spending?

      Living under the best politicians money can buy,

      Comment On This Article

      Isn't it worth $1 a month to you to keep RGQ in your mailbox?  Please click the link and direct your contribution to keep RGQ going.

      Today's Quotes

      Democracy is welcoming people from other lands, and giving them something to hold onto - usually a mop or a leaf blower. - Johnny Carson

      A person usually has two reasons for doing something: a good reason and the real reason. - Thomas Carlyle

      Today's Chuckle

      Clap for the Wolf-Man
      [Thanks dEE]

      The Wolf Man comes home one day from a long day at the office.

      "How was work, dear?" his wife asks.

      "Listen! I don't want to talk about work!" he shouts.

      "Okay. Would you like to sit down and eat a nice home cooked meal?" she asks nicely.

      "Listen!" he shouts again. "I'm not hungry! I don't wanna eat! All right! Is that all right with you? Can I come home from work and just do my own thing without you forcing food down my throat? Huh?"

      At this moment, the wolf man started growling and throwing things around the apartment in a mad rage. Looking out the window, his wife sees a full moon and says to herself, "Well, I guess it's that time of the month."

      Life Sentences

      Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

      No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.

      I once had a rose named after me and I was very flattered. But I was not pleased to read the description in the catalogue: no good in a bed, but fine up against a wall. - all from Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, who died on this day in 1962

      Subscribe to reallygoodquotes