October 26, 2012

  • mikereallygoodquotes
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 25, 2012
      Untitled Document
      Really Good Quotes "A mind, once expanded by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
      You can read this same issue in a browser version at either of the following locations:
      http://www.reallygoodquotesonline.com

      Subscribe to RGQ
      Unsubscribe from RGQ
      Submit Reader Comment
      Submit 15 Minutes of Fame
      Submit Image or Quote
      Submit to Best of RGQ
      Submit Tip of the Day
      Submit Limerick
      Submit Photo
      View Reader Photos

      Greetings Quotaholics,

      From the U.K. comes a story of how complicated love can be. That is, the story appeared in a British newspaper, but is the story of an American couple.

      Sadie calls herself a 'failed lesbian' because she has had relationships with three women, and all three of those women turned out to be transgender. In other words, all three of them are now in various stages of becoming men. This includes her current partner of two and a half years

      When she was 25, she had become comfortable identifying herself as a lesbian when she found herself in a committed heterosexual relationship with a woman had begun the transition from female to male. Marco, who began life as Erica, had a rock star-bad boy vibe from the start. "She'd play the electric guitar in her underwear. She was hot" said Sadie, but realizes that it would have gotten old eventually.

      After Erica started taking testosterone Sadie worried she would become more aggressive, a common side effect, but as she became a man she mellowed out. Sadie speculated that a lot of Marco/Erica's anger came from the feeling of being trapped in the wrong body. As she transitioned she felt more at peace and became a more peaceful person.

      Before 1997, anyone who assumed the opposite gender was classified as a transvestite which was listed as a mental disorder by mental health professionals, as was homosexuality at one time. (As this article is by a British writer, I am not sure if that is by British or American professionals.)

      "To experience gender identity confusion or some form of gender variance is not in itself a mental illness" says Nicole Giordano, a mental health professional." The violation of the social norm that has defined gender as binary and the accompanied social discrimination and ostracism is what creates the depression or anxiety."

      Some studies show that transgender people attempt suicide at 26 times the national average. The study acknowledges that gathering accurate statistics about the transgender community is impossible since stigma keeps many people quiet about their experiences.

      Often, the transgender person starts living a gay "lifestyle" before they come to the conclusion that they are not gay, but are trapped in the wrong body and should have been born as the opposite sex, as did Marco/ Erica, and also Chaz Bono, the offspring of Sonny and Cher.

      Now that Marco has begun the transition from female to male, Sadie is confronting her own emotions, seeing a therapist and acknowledging that the experience has been trying for her too.

      Sadie tried going to a support group for 'trans-partners; but was disappointed with the experience. "...the conversation was so focused on the burden felt by our partners. Very little attention was placed on the burden felt by us as partners." She gave up on organized support groups and reached out to individuals. Over time, as Marco settled into being a man, Sadie settled into the idea of their semi-straight relationship.

      Both Sadie and Marco mourn the loss of Erica as if she were another person who they both loved and miss. They're going through an unusual set of growing pains, trying to figure out where they fit in the world. But holding hands in their beautiful roof garden, they are more of a model couple than an anomaly.

      So, dear readers. Have you ever experienced gender identity confusion? Do you think transgender people are mentally ill or is this a genuine medical condition? Could you continue loving a spouse, family member or close friend if they expressed a desire for a sex change operation?

      I'd like to dedicate this column to the gentle soul of Robin West. I hope you found the peace in death that so eluded you in life. Rest in peace, my friend.

      GrammieSammie

      Everyone has people in their lives that are gay, lesbian or transgender or bisexual. They may not want to admit it, but I guarantee they know somebody.
      ~Billie Jean King~

      Nature chooses who will be transgender; individuals don't choose this.
      ~Mercedes Ruehl~

      Get it while you can, don't turn your back on love.
      ~Janis Joplin~

      Comment On This Article

      Isn't it worth $1 a month to you to keep RGQ in your mailbox?  Please click the link and direct your contribution to keep RGQ going.

      Today's Quotes

      Don't be afraid of death so much as an inadequate life. - Bertolt Brecht

      Incomprehensible jargon is the hallmark of a profession. - Kingman Brewster, Jr

      Today's Chuckle

      Love and Marriage
      [Thanks dEE]

      The child was a typical four-year-old girl - cute, inquisitive, bright as a new penny.

      When she expressed difficulty in grasping the concept of marriage, her father decided to pull out his wedding photo album, thinking visual images would help.

      One page after another, he pointed out the bride arriving at the church, the entrance, the wedding ceremony, the recessional, the reception, etc.

      "Now do you understand?" he asked.

      "I think so," she said, "is that when mommy came to work for us?"

      Life Sentences

      A man loses contact with reality if he is not surrounded by his books.

      Since each nation is undergoing a crisis, they all tend toward egotism. Each country first wants to rescue itself, whereas they will only be rescued together.

      Everything is a struggle, everything requires courage, effort. There is no response to history without effort, and effort is required because everything is difficult: passions, interests, rivalries, mankind just emerging from prehistory. Just look around us. Yes, history is tragic. – all from François Mitterrand, President of France, born on this day in 1916

      Subscribe to reallygoodquotes