April 23, 2012

  • mikereallygoodquotes
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 22, 2012
      Untitled Document
      Really Good Quotes "A mind, once expanded by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
      You can read this same issue in a browser version at either of the following locations:
      http://www.reallygoodquotesonline.com

      Subscribe to RGQ
      Unsubscribe from RGQ
      Submit Reader Comment
      Submit 15 Minutes of Fame
      Submit Image or Quote
      Submit to Best of RGQ
      Submit Tip of the Day
      Submit Limerick
      Submit Photo
      View Reader Photos

      Greetings, Quotaholics:

      Today was another of those days where I searched hither and yon for a suitable article to write about.  OK, truth be told, I only searched hither.  If I had gone to yon I wouldn't have had enough money to get back.  I did manage to find something that might tickle your fancies, though.

      Those of us who are parents learn to expect the unexpected when the kids are young (and even sometimes when they're older.  Tantrums are an ugly but not at all uncommon part of growing up.

      Salecia Johnson is a six year-old kindergartener.  She was in school in Midgeville, Georgia when she had a royal spaz attack. She apparently threw books and toys, tore at wall hangings threw a shelf that hit her principal in the leg, and jumped on a paper shredder and tried to break a glass frame, acording to an AP article carried in the Washington Post

      As tantrums go, this one was a beaut, but the school's reaction is the subject of heated debate.  They called the police.

      When an officer arrived and tried to calm the child in the principal's office, she resisted, authorities said.  She then was handcuffed and taken away in a patrol car.

      Baldwin County schools Superintendent Geneva Braziel called the student's behavior "violent and disruptive."

      "The Milledgeville police department was ultimately called to assist due to safety concerns for the student, other classmates and the school staff," Braziel said in a statement.

      Interim Police Chief Dray Swicord said the department's policy is to handcuff people when they are taken to the police station, regardless of their age, "for the safety of themselves as well as the officer."  He said the child was restrained with steel cuffs, the only kind the department uses.  He also said the girl will not be charged with a crime because she is too young.

      The girl's aunt, Candace Ruff, went with the child's mother to pick her up at the police station.  She said Salecia was in a holding cell and complained about the handcuffs.

      "She said they were really tight. She said they really hurt her wrists," Ruff said. "She was so shaken up when we went there to pick her up."

      The police chief said the girl was taken to the squad room, not a holding cell, and officers there tried to calm her and gave her a soda.

      The girl was suspended and can't return to school until August, her mother, Constance Ruff, told WMAZ-TV.

      So, dear readers, what say you?  Was the school overreacting or did they act appropriately?  Is the idea of a suspension until next school year along with the arrest reasonable?  How would you have dealt with the situation?

      Paternally,

      Comment on this article

      Isn't it worth $1 a month to you to keep RGQ in your mailbox?  Please click the link and direct your contribution to keep RGQ going.

      Today's Quotes

      I always find that statistics are hard to swallow and impossible to digest.  The only one I can ever remember is that if all the people who go to sleep in church were laid end to end they would be a lot more comfortable. - Mrs. Robert A. Taft

      Give crayons.  Adults are disturbingly impoverished of these magical dream sticks. - Dr. SunWolf

      Today's Chuckle

      A Beautiful Gesture
      [Thanks Bonnie]

      At my wedding I was amazed how well my mother controlled herself, until my grandmother had reached over to my grandfather's wheelchair and gently touched his hand. That was all it took to start my mother's tears flowing.

      After the wedding, Mom went over to my grandmother and told her how that tender gesture triggered her outburst.

      "Well, I'm sorry to ruin your moment," Grandmother replied,"but I was just trying to get him to stop snoring."

      Life Sentences

      Between a man and his wife nothing ought to rule but love. Authority is for children and servants, yet not without sweetness.

      Force may make hypocrites, but it can never make converts.

      Truth often suffers more by the heat of its defenders than the arguments of its opposers. – all from William Penn, English admiral, born on this day in 1621

      Subscribe to reallygoodquotes