How do You experience Music?

  • Stevo
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 3, 2010
      In the light of a thread on synaesthesia on another list I thought I'd ask this question. How do you experience music?
      From my experience listening to music is not a 100% auditory experience.
      I doubt somehow, if people would become quite as into the music they listen to if it was. So I'm wondering if there are other experiences/ sensations that other people here experience in response to music.

      I know that some people paint to music because of its influence & others find it helps their writing. Wasn't William Gibson's genre called Cyberpunk because of the choice of music he listened to put him in the headspace he wrote from for one.

      stevo

      Np Pussy Galore Exile On Main St Loving Cup
      (never heard this before, wasn't sure exactly what to expect. seems the band did have some familiarity with the music. but it's very lo-fi)
    • woolsey darren

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 4, 2010
          One of the most important factors for me when listening to music is the emotive factor; the feelings the music induces in me. Here are a few personal examples:

          "Barricade 3" by ZNR always makes me laugh. One of the wittiest
          records ever, yet also gentle and wistful.
          "Pet sounds" by The Beach Boys often makes me cry. A record about loneliness and isolation.
          "Deceit" by This Heat invokes for me feelings I had when listening to it when it came out, i.e. the world was close to destruction.
          Several recordings, for example "Lick my decals off, baby" by Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band, "The Faust tapes" & "Unrest" by Henry Cow take me back to a time when I knew far less about music than I do now & almost allow that state of innocence to return. Not quite, though.

          Most of the music I enjoy asks more questions than provides answers [as is the case for the films I like].

          In conclusion, I have heard "Exile On Main St." by Pussy Galore & found it approximately as stimulating as the original recording...
          that is to say, not very at all. But that's me for you.

          Richard