"Japan" issue of Resonance magazine from a few years back

  • charlie.m@unisonfree.net
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 4, 2007
      Hi Chris,
      Another query I hope you can help with - in the "Japan" issue of Resonance
      magazine from a few years back you enthused about your favourite Japanese
      record and (I can't find my copy of the mag as I type!!!) how frustrating
      it was that the major label who own the recording were not prepared to
      license it for reissue.

      Can't remember the artist without the mag to hand, but I was enthralled by
      your description and kept a mental note. Did this ever get reissued or
      licensed and who was the artist?

      Cheers,

      Charlie

      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 29, 2007
        The Pointy Birds were a brilliant quirky London based squawk-jazz ensemble who included John Edwards and Steve Blake among others I've now forgotten. I used to see them play a lot in the late 80s around London. They were a great energetic live experience.

        Steve Blake told me back then that they had tentatively agreed to release an album they had recorded through Recommended/ReR. This never (to my knowledge) came to fruition. Does anyone know if they ever released it elsewhere? I've never been able to find ANY recordings by them which is a real shame. A small consolation is knowing that that master tape sits somewhere awaiting label interest....

        Cheers,

        Charlie
      • pettsdavid
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 23, 2007
          I played with John and Steve in a band called B. Shops for the Poor-
          certainly not quirky! - around the same time, and still see John
          around, so I'll ask him if he has any PB material.
          Dave

          --- In ReRmegacorp@yahoogroups.com, "Charlie M" <charlie.m@...> wrote:

          > The Pointy Birds were a brilliant quirky London based squawk-jazz
          ensemble
          > who included John Edwards and Steve Blake among others I've now
          forgotten. I
          > used to see them play a lot in the late 80s around London. They
          were a great
          > energetic live experience.
          >
          > Steve Blake told me back then that they had tentatively agreed to
          release an
          > album they had recorded through Recommended/ReR. This never (to my
          > knowledge) came to fruition. Does anyone know if they ever released
          it
          > elsewhere? I've never been able to find ANY recordings by them
          which is a
          > real shame. A small consolation is knowing that that master tape
          sits
          > somewhere awaiting label interest....
          >
          > Cheers,
          >
          > Charlie
          > Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.
          > Checked by AVG Free Edition.
          10/06/2007

        • charlie.m@unisonfree.net
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 23, 2007
            Thanks for that David.
            I think they MAY have sold cassettes of their material at the time at gigs
            (though I could be wildly wrong - I would have bought one surely...). If
            their recorded material was as good as they were live, any CD issue now
            would be a real archive treat.
            Their version of The Jackson Five's "ABC" was a classic angular (ahem)
            "deconstruction" of the original.

            Cheers,

            Charlie

            I played with John and Steve in a band called B. Shops for the Poor-
            certainly not quirky! - around the same time, and still see John
            around, so I'll ask him if he has any PB material.
            Dave

            --- In ReRmegacorp@yahoogroups.com, "Charlie M" <charlie.m@...> wrote:

            > The Pointy Birds were a brilliant quirky London based squawk-jazz
            ensemble
            > who included John Edwards and Steve Blake among others I've now
            forgotten. I
            > used to see them play a lot in the late 80s around London. They
            were a great
            > energetic live experience.
            >
            > Steve Blake told me back then that they had tentatively agreed to
            release an
            > album they had recorded through Recommended/ReR. This never (to my
            > knowledge) came to fruition. Does anyone know if they ever released
            it
            > elsewhere? I've never been able to find ANY recordings by them
            which is a
            > real shame. A small consolation is knowing that that master tape
            sits
            > somewhere awaiting label interest....
            >
            > Cheers,
            >
            > Charlie
            > Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.
            > Checked by AVG Free Edition.
            10/06/2007
            > 13:39

          • vinylfrenzy
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 13, 2012
              5 years later........a YouTube video has amazingly appeared -
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnA3d1mytBc (doesn't John Edwards look young!!!
              - but still no recordings to my knowledge. Does anyone know anything more or different?
              One of my all time favourite live bands.
              Charlie

              --- In ReRmegacorp@yahoogroups.com, "Charlie M" <charlie.m@...> wrote:

              > The Pointy Birds were a brilliant quirky London based squawk-jazz ensemble
              > who included John Edwards and Steve Blake among others I've now forgotten. I
              > used to see them play a lot in the late 80s around London. They were a great
              > energetic live experience.
              >
              > Steve Blake told me back then that they had tentatively agreed to release an
              > album they had recorded through Recommended/ReR. This never (to my
              > knowledge) came to fruition. Does anyone know if they ever released it
              > elsewhere? I've never been able to find ANY recordings by them which is a
              > real shame. A small consolation is knowing that that master tape sits
              > somewhere awaiting label interest....
              >
              > Cheers,
              >
              > Charlie
              > Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.
              > Checked by AVG Free Edition.
              > 13:39

            • vinylfrenzy
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 29 5:39 AM
                OK - final time-lapse posting on this thread. Another Pointy Birds enthusiast found my posting here and sent me the following link to the cassette that the Pointy Birds used to sell at their gigs in the late 80s. Its great stuff and of interest to a number of ReR enthusiasts.

                https://dl.dropbox.com/u/50157944/Pointy%20Birds%201987.zip

                I'm not sure if this is the same recording that Steve Blake told me many years ago had been offered a release on Rer/Recommneded (don't even know if that claim is correct? Chris?) but either way its a great document of a great 'lost' band.

                Charlie

                --- In ReRmegacorp@yahoogroups.com, "vinylfrenzy" <vinylfrenzy@...> wrote:

                > 5 years later........a YouTube video has amazingly appeared -
                > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnA3d1mytBc (doesn't John Edwards look young!!!
                > - but still no recordings to my knowledge. Does anyone know anything more or different?
                > One of my all time favourite live bands.
                > Charlie
                >
                > --- In ReRmegacorp@yahoogroups.com, "Charlie M" <charlie.m@> wrote:
                > >
                > > The Pointy Birds were a brilliant quirky London based squawk-jazz ensemble
                > > who included John Edwards and Steve Blake among others I've now forgotten. I
                > > used to see them play a lot in the late 80s around London. They were a great
                > > energetic live experience.
                > >
                > > Steve Blake told me back then that they had tentatively agreed to release an
                > > album they had recorded through Recommended/ReR. This never (to my
                > > knowledge) came to fruition. Does anyone know if they ever released it
                > > elsewhere? I've never been able to find ANY recordings by them which is a
                > > real shame. A small consolation is knowing that that master tape sits
                > > somewhere awaiting label interest....
                > >
                > > Cheers,
                > >
                > > Charlie
                > > Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.
                > > Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                > > 13:39

              • michel ramond
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 4, 2012
                  http://www.orkhestra.fr/catalog.php?FIND=RER0312

                  Is this CD a part of the Cassiber box?
                  Will it be sent in advance to the box set subscribers?
                  best,
                • Mario Bucci
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 14, 2012
                    Has anyone on the list already received the first CD? I heard one person (Alfred Harth) has received it a few days ago .... but maybe that was a special treatment

                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 14, 2012
                      I’ve got a message from ReR saying that my copy will be sent soon....................

                      m.

                      Sent: Friday, December 14, 2012 4:44 PM
                      Subject: Re: [ReRmegacorp] cassiber boxset

                      Has anyone on the list already received the first CD? I heard one person (Alfred Harth) has received it a few days ago .... but maybe that was a special treatment

                      Will it be sent in advance to the box set subscribers?
                      best,

                    • Darren
                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 14, 2012
                        I received mine today...

                        Beautiful artwork accompanying the CD... stunning music, and dig those titles...

                      • JTweddell@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 11 , Dec 14, 2012
                          Mine turned up on Wednesday -  and excellent it is to. Can't wait for the rest of the box in or around February.

                          John