Something for the Magma types.....

  • Steve Ashworth
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 6, 2007
      Astonishing clip from 1970 has just appeared on youtube:

      Steve
    • Charlie M
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 16, 2007
        In his liner notes to the great LP by The Homosexuals that ReR put out years back, Chris Cutler writes "...2 strands of uniquely British rock music met in them and to my knowledge nowhere else". Re-reading this today I remember that I'd always wondered which particular 2 he had in mind.

        Anyone hazard a guess? I toyed with 2 of :- punk, art-rock, diy....unsure!

         It's bugged me for ages though!!

        Cheers,

        Charlie
      • Charlie M
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 16, 2007
          While I'm posting, a bit of nostalgia.......I'm struck by the disappearance (in Bristol at least....) of all the non-mainstream record shops.

          My best record buying trips ever were to the old Recommended shop near Vauxhall station. Seeing Organum, Morphogenesis, Pete Blegvad etc. doing instore gigs in the late 80s was revelatory. The  gemlike records I left with - the INA GRM LPs I passed up on (doh!)........

          Now These Records has gone, where (other than Rough Trade) in London is worth going for a good buying trip? Mail order is good but I crave a shop.

          Nostalgia over.

          Cheers,

          Charlie
        • Glenn c
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 17, 2007
            always wondered as well

            on a slight tangent, the recent passing of author Kurt Vonnegut is sad news

            I think the homosexuals made reference to feeling "like Billy Pilgrim, unstuck in time"

            On 4/16/07, Charlie M <charlie.m@...> wrote:

            In his liner notes to the great LP by The Homosexuals that ReR put out years back, Chris Cutler writes "...2 strands of uniquely British rock music met in them and to my knowledge nowhere else". Re-reading this today  I remember that I'd always wondered which particular 2 he had in mind.

            Anyone hazard a guess? I toyed with 2 of :- punk, art-rock, diy....unsure!

             It's bugged me for ages though!!

            Cheers,

            Charlie

          • ray carmen
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 17, 2007
              Hi Charlie,

              I remember picking up a copy of The Last Nightingale
              miner's strike benefit record years ago and seeing the
              flyer packaged inside with info about the old
              Recommended Records shop. I always wanted to go to
              Merrie Olde England and visit that shop, and I never
              got a chance to! Anyone out there have old photos of
              the shop and the various instore appearances?

              Ray

              Posted by: "Charlie M" charlie.m@...
              vinylfrenzy
              Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:13 pm (PST)
              While I'm posting, a bit of nostalgia... ....I'm
              struck by the disappearance
              (in Bristol at least....) of all the non-mainstream
              record shops.

              My best record buying trips ever were to the old
              Recommended shop near
              Vauxhall station. Seeing Organum, Morphogenesis, Pete
              Blegvad etc. doing
              instore gigs in the late 80s was revelatory. The
              gemlike records I left
              with - the INA GRM LPs I passed up on (doh!)...... ..

              Now These Records has gone, where (other than Rough
              Trade) in London is
              worth going for a good buying trip? Mail order is good
              but I crave a shop.

              Nostalgia over.

              Cheers,

              Charlie

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • darrenwlsy
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 17, 2007
                I've not been down to London (from where I live in North West
                Yorkshire) for a long time, so it's quite possibly changed a lot, but
                Camden Town used to be a favourite haunt for second hand records, plus
                Berwick Street, in London:

                http://www.talkingcities.co.uk/london_pages/shopping_music.htm

                My favourite memories, are of purchasing vinyl records from the
                Recommended Records catalogue, and having them delivered in a few
                days... Fred Frith's Technology of Tears (the vinyl infinitely better
                than the CD version) and Thinking Plague's In This Life being two
                highlights...

                --- ray carmen <pixilvsn@...> wrote:

                > Hi Charlie,
                >
                > I remember picking up a copy of The Last Nightingale
                > miner's strike benefit record years ago and seeing the
                > flyer packaged inside with info about the old
                > Recommended Records shop. I always wanted to go to
                > Merrie Olde England and visit that shop, and I never
                > got a chance to! Anyone out there have old photos of
                > the shop and the various instore appearances?
                >
                > Ray
                >
                > Posted by: "Charlie M" charlie.m@... vinylfrenzy
                > Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:13 pm (PST)
                > While I'm posting, a bit of nostalgia... ....I'm
                > struck by the disappearance (in Bristol at least....)
                > of all the non-mainstream record shops.
                >
                > My best record buying trips ever were to the old
                > Recommended shop near Vauxhall station. Seeing Organum,
                > Morphogenesis, Pete Blegvad etc. doing instore gigs
                > in the late 80s was revelatory. The gemlike records I
                > left with - the INA GRM LPs I passed up on (doh!)......
                >
                > Now These Records has gone, where (other than Rough
                > Trade) in London is worth going for a good buying
                > trip? Mail order is good but I crave a shop.
                >
                > Nostalgia over.
                >
                > Cheers,
                >
                > Charlie
              • Wayne Spencer
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 17, 2007
                  I'd recommend the Sound 323 shop, just opposite Highgate tube:
                  http://tinyurl.com/26z7sf.

                  Wayne

                  --- ray carmen <pixilvsn@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Charlie,
                  >
                  > I remember picking up a copy of The Last Nightingale
                  > miner's strike benefit record years ago and seeing the
                  > flyer packaged inside with info about the old
                  > Recommended Records shop. I always wanted to go to
                  > Merrie Olde England and visit that shop, and I never
                  > got a chance to! Anyone out there have old photos of
                  > the shop and the various instore appearances?
                  >
                  > Ray
                  >
                  > Posted by: "Charlie M" charlie.m@... vinylfrenzy
                  > Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:13 pm (PST)
                  > While I'm posting, a bit of nostalgia... ....I'm
                  > struck by the disappearance (in Bristol at least....)
                  > of all the non-mainstream record shops.
                  >
                  > My best record buying trips ever were to the old
                  > Recommended shop near Vauxhall station. Seeing Organum,
                  > Morphogenesis, Pete Blegvad etc. doing instore gigs
                  > in the late 80s was revelatory. The gemlike records I
                  > left with - the INA GRM LPs I passed up on (doh!)......
                  >
                  > Now These Records has gone, where (other than Rough
                  > Trade) in London is worth going for a good buying
                  > trip? Mail order is good but I crave a shop.
                  >
                  > Nostalgia over.
                  >
                  > Cheers,
                  >
                  > Charlie
                • John Ireland
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 17, 2007
                    My first exposure to RR was being handed a flyer outside The
                    Residents' Mole Show performance outside Edinburgh Queens Hall in
                    1983 (I think).

                    My 50p voucher was spent on The Residents' Residue album........ any
                    store that stocked The Residents were fine by me.

                    The catalogues were a joy to behold and a work of art in themselves,
                    now sadly lost in this on line age.

                    My next purchase was the now legendary RR double sampler album and I
                    haven't looked back since then although I did lose touch a bit during
                    the vinyl to cd transition time.

                    I used to travel to Colchester for training courses. i would get the
                    last flight back to Edinburgh and stop in the RR shop on my way to
                    the airport to browse and buy. Tony Rice who handled the mail order
                    was always a splendid chap.

                    I can't believe I am still here after almost 25 years!!!!

                    Yours in music

                    John
                  • Charlie M
                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 26, 2007
                      Thanks for all the replies here - Sound 323 sounds good - seen the adverts
                      in Wire; never made it to Highgate. Highgate!? What an unlikely location for
                      a cool record shop!

                      The catalogues I still have - still look great. Perhaps they should be
                      compiled into a reissue!

                      The Recommended shop was total character - ill fitting runkled carpet; the
                      smell of damp (I think!), racks of insanely obscure and (now) rare and
                      collectable records; you could ask for as many records to be played without
                      any complaint; great "lost" music mags (1st encountered Audion here I think?
                      Is Ultima Thule still operating as a shop in Leicester - great shop) etc.
                      etc. I never took up the catalogue's suggestion of bringing a few bottles of
                      wine down to the shop to wile away the hours (and maybe part exchange for
                      records? Am I imagining that bit??!!) but wish I had done. There were
                      regular gigs the highlights of which for me were Morphogenesis, Organum and
                      Michael Prime - all with background traffic noise - these must exist as
                      recordings somewhere - there was a long haired guy who recorded all of them
                      with a pro-Sony Walkman. Would love to hear the Organum one......

                      Let's not forget the coolest record shop bags ever - yellow with the scythe
                      logo in red and green.

                      Charlie

[...]

                      Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                      15:23
                    • Charlie M
                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 26, 2007
                        I'd like to see some old photos too....!

                        Charlie

                        I remember picking up a copy of The Last Nightingale
                        miner's strike benefit record years ago and seeing the
                        flyer packaged inside with info about the old
                        Recommended Records shop. I always wanted to go to
                        Merrie Olde England and visit that shop, and I never
                        got a chance to! Anyone out there have old photos of
                        the shop and the various instore appearances?

                        Ray

                        Posted by: "Charlie M" charlie.m@unisonfre e.net
                        vinylfrenzy
                        Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:13 pm (PST)
                        While I'm posting, a bit of nostalgia... ....I'm
                        struck by the disappearance
                        (in Bristol at least....) of all the non-mainstream
                        record shops.

                        My best record buying trips ever were to the old
                        Recommended shop near
                        Vauxhall station. Seeing Organum, Morphogenesis, Pete
                        Blegvad etc. doing
                        instore gigs in the late 80s was revelatory. The
                        gemlike records I left
                        with - the INA GRM LPs I passed up on (doh!)...... ..

                        Now These Records has gone, where (other than Rough
                        Trade) in London is
                        worth going for a good buying trip? Mail order is good
                        but I crave a shop.

                        Nostalgia over.

                        Cheers,

                        Charlie