Henry Cow influence on Cardiacs

  • alanterrill
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 4 2:46 AM
      There's a good new article on the Cardiacs that just appeared http://thequietus.com/articles/12737-cardiacs-a-little-man-and-a-house-and-the-whole-world-window-25-anniversary
      I knew Tim Smith had listened to a lot of progressive music in order to formulate his own take on it in the eighties, but I didn't know he was a Henry Cow fan- here's the quote:
      Two other pivotal influences which often get overlooked are the English avant-rock group Henry Cow and their many offshoots (such as the Art Bears or News From Babel,) and the 1969 debut album by White Noise, An Electric Storm, which featured the talents of the BBC Radiophonic Workshop's Delia Derbyshire. In fact, Henry Cow were such a strong influence on his music, that Tim told me he had obtained bassoonist Lindsay Cooper's address from a friend prior to the Tube screening of Tarred And Feathered and sent her a note telling her if she tuned into Channel 4 at the right time, there would be something on that she "might enjoy".
      Here's the video of that track http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRZ2Xw_o6FY
    • Charlie Mason
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 4 2:15 PM
        It’s great to see Cardiacs mentioned here. An extraordinary band.

        After seeing them in 1985 and being amazed, I struck up a brief correspondence with Tim Smith. The inevitable question of what music he listened to arose – Gong, Devo, XTC, Henry Cow, Oingo Boingo, and Bartok was his response.

        I talked to him after a gig at the Riverside club in Leatherhead shortly after that exchange and asked more and he raved about Henry Cow – “just get ALL their albums!” was his advice. Within a few months Beggars Banquet in Kingston and the old Recommended shop near Vauxhall had yielded mint or new copies of everything but Western Culture (which took another 25 years to acquire – from someone on this group as it happens!).

        He paid direct homage to HC on the song “Nurses Whispering Verses” and probably elsewhere in ideas for arrangements and awkward angular sections of songs.

        I made Tim a compilation cassette on which I put the 1st Egg LP as well as No Means No and other stuff I was listening to at the time. It was only years later on reading an interview with early ex-Cardiacs member Mark Cawthra that I discovered they were already listening to Egg in the late 70s!

        I’m sure I still have in my pile of old ReR Megacorp mail-order catalogues one issue that stocked some copies of one of the early Cardiacs LPs although I may be wrong. If I’m right it was short-lived. I’ll see if I can dig it out to verify. One ReR band that Cardiacs have been compared to on a number of occasions is 5uus. There is a similarity for sure although both bands are very different too.

        Although there is plenty of great footage of Cardiacs on Youtube from the mid 80s right up to the end, this concert from 2003 is among my favourites mainly because it solely reprises material from ’77 – ’84 most of which they hadn’t played for 20+ years prior to this gig. There’s some great stuff here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W86d_sM323A

        Charlie

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 4 4:04 PM
          I should add that the other bands Tim enthused about in that letter were Gentle Giant and Foetus (Scraping Foetus Off The Wheel at that time) in particular the Hole and Nail LPs
          Charlie

[...]

        • LEOR HARDY
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 5 12:42 AM
            Why are all their recordings out of print?

            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 5 1:28 AM
              --- In ReRmegacorp@yahoogroups.com, "LEOR HARDY" <leorh@...> wrote:

              > Why are all their recordings out of print?

              All their recordings were sold direct by Tim Smith who suffered a serious stroke a couple of years ago and is still hospitalized and unable to speak. However, friends have gradually managed to pick up his business matters and all albums are due to be reissued quite soon. Keep an eye on cardiacs.com for info (or go to the progressiveears forum where there is always someone talking about the Cardiacs)

              Alan